Spring 2022 - Chapter 63

Jessica walked into the dining room yawning. She needed more than three hours of sleep. Last night with Justin had been exhilarating and exhausting. She'd never had a lover who could master her, and she'd make the most of it while it lasted.

"Morning, Dad," she said, taking a seat across from him. She took out her cell and checked her face in the camera. She looked like she'd gotten three hours sleep. She'd put an ice pack on her eyes before she put on her makeup.

"Morning, Jessica. Why were you so late last night?"

"Out with Justin." She put her cell away and lifted her hair off her neck. "We went to the concert."

"Justin? You've been out with him a lot. I haven't met him." Hiram put two slices of wheat bread in the four-slice toaster. He looked at Jessica. She held up one finger. He added one slice and pushed the lever down.

"Justin Moore."

"Don't know any Moores. What does his family do?"

The cook put down plates of bacon and eggs, then left.

"Real estate, investments. Dad's a big TV executive; Mom is Audrey Moore. A star of 'Seasons of Our Lives'. They're way richer than us."

Hiram thought this over. "Audrey Moore? Not the soft porn actress?"

"Thirty years ago, Dad. She's got two Emmys now. And $300 million dollars."

"That's not the kind of family we usually associate with," he said tactfully. "Not much in common."

Jessica looked at him, a half-smile on her face. "Justin's fun for a while. He has a lot of show business contacts. We went backstage after the concert." Jessica smiled, remembering the lead singer flirting with her. "When we go to Almurias, I won't see him anymore. When are we going?"

Her father put his fork down and said, "Before Memorial Day. Your mother will stay in Atlanta to care for her mother, until she passes."

"How long did the doctors give Nana?" That old woman has been hanging on for years. Jessica buttered her toast and bit into it, hard white teeth ripping the bread.

"Six to eight months. You'll be my hostess and run the house when your mother can't be with us, which will be most of the time." He finished his eggs and started on the bacon.

Jessica lifted a slice of bacon and looked at it thoughtfully, but saw the US Ambassador's grand house in Almurias, being courted by important people, and nodded.

"I'll make you proud, Dad." She crunched bacon.

"Your brothers will join us during the summers." Hiram paused, then asked, "Have you heard from Marco lately?"

Jessica scowled. "We email. I'm going to join Children's Relief in Almurias. He's patron."

"Any news there?"

Jessica shook her head. "He's the same with me. I don't know who he's seeing." I think he's still doing Madison. She's going to Madrid for Easter; he'll be there. I hate her, hate her, hate her. She snapped the bacon and a piece fell on her lap. She put it on her plate. "I'm not hungry. I'm going to shower. I've got to shop for a dress for Prince Sebastian's dinner at Dalmurias. Give me your credit card." He pulled his wallet out, selected a card, and handed it over.

*

Metty opened a dresser drawer in her room at June's and took the clothes out. Bryany, sitting on one of the twin beds, sulked behind her.

"You can have these two drawers when you visit. There's space in the closet. The bed on the left is yours.

"Dad said I should have my own room."

"There's not an extra room. We'll share when you visit."

"I have my own room with Dad and Alice."

"Good."

"I'm telling Dad I don't like it here."

"Tell him. Mom and Bryan are no longer together."

"Can't we have a TV? I have a TV in my room at Dad's."

"I have to study. Watch the one in the living room." Metty opened Bryany's suitcase. "Do you want me to help you unpack or do you want to do it yourself?"

"I'll do it." Bryany grabbed clothes and stuffed them in the drawers. "Why do I have to have the two bottom drawers?"

"Cause I live here full time and I use the upper."

"Dad says that rich guy Alexei is going to leave you."

"I didn't know Alexei confided in Bryan."

Bryany stared at her. "What?"

"I doubt Alexei talked to Bryan about his plans for the future."

Bryany's brow wrinkled at this confusing remark. She resorted to Bryan's comments. "Dad says you're not pretty enough for a rich guy like Alexei. You're too heavy. No fancy clothes. No money. Alexei's rich. He can date a model or a real princess." She sneered at her half-sister.

Metty stiffened. Bryan had continuously nagged her about her weight. When she complained to Sylvia, her mother remarked constantly that if she lost 20 pounds, he couldn't talk. Metty had given up trying to stop them. At 5'7" and 165 pounds, Metty was lumpy, and knew it.

"If he leaves me—"

"When, Daddy says."

"If he leaves me, it could be for many reasons. For now, we're together." Metty turned and opened the closet door. "This is your half. Don't touch my things." She took out the riding helmet Bart recommended she get for riding. She still wore jeans, but after a month of riding twice a week, she was more comfortable with Franco.

"Why'd you get a riding helmet?"

"Alexei and I ride his horses a couple times a week.

"He has horses?" Bryany asked.

"His family does. On their plantation. We ride there."

"Riding. I want to go riding."

"Get Bryan to pay for lessons."

Bryany puckered up and her eyes moistened. "He won't pay for anything anymore. They're saving for the new baby. They spend the money Mom pays for my clothes on stuff for the baby. They said they needed to prepare for him. Everything's for the baby. It's a boy." Her voice broke. "They're going to call it Bryan, Jr."

Metty looked at Bryany. The girl was almost in tears. For the first time, she felt pity for Bryany.

Metty moved her clothes to one side of the closet. "This is your half. There are some hangers. We're having meatloaf for dinner. Half an hour." Metty walked out of the room.