Chapter 68

Alexei reined Bolero to a halt as he reached the river. Metty stopped beside him. Franco snorted and shook his head. She scratched under his mane. He snorted again. They sat quietly, watching the Ashley flow slowly to the Atlantic.

Alexei said, "What are your plans for the summer? Do you think you will try to go to Boston for school in the Fall?"

She shook her head. "I can't afford it now. I've gotta work for two or three years. Besides, Mom's having a hard time since Bryan left." She looked at Alexei, searching for the right words. "She needs the extra income, but she won't look for a job." Metty looked back at the river. "She misses Bryany." She slumped. "She wants custody. Child support would give her enough money to stay home. It would still be hard to make ends meet."

"Do you feel you have to help out?"

She took a deep breath. "I want to help. Mom's difficult, I know, but she's my mother and she always kept a roof over our heads and food on the table. Not always easy after Dad died. And Bryan showed up."

"Let's go to the gazebo. We can talk there before we go back."

They rode the horses to the gazebo. Alexei dismounted and helped Metty down. He reached for her hand and she linked her fingers through his.

"Bryany's a problem, too. She wants to stay with her father, but I think there are problems there."

"What problems?"

"Bryan and Alice's baby is due in June. It's a boy." She took a deep breath, scratched her cheek and pushed her hair back. He squeezed her hand gently. "He always wanted a boy. He used to treat Bryany like his little buddy, but she says everything is 'always only for the new baby'. She seems very unhappy." She pushed her hair off her face. "For the first time in her spoiled, greedy little life, I feel sorry for the brat." Her lips twitched in a small smile.

"You know what it is like to be put aside for someone else, don't you, cara? I have seen how your family always puts you last."

"Hmmmmm. Not exactly. My parents had the two kids they wanted and I came along ten years later, screwing things up. They could have sold the house, but Dad's Mom added me to the trust so Mom had to keep it after Dad died. Thank goodness. Dad used to call me his little millstone when they had to made special arrangements or get a baby sitter for me if they had to drag me along or couldn't do it because of me," she sighed. "They acted like it was such a funny joke. "They ignored me as much as possible." She remembered the feeling of being present but not included. Later, she realized it was a form of shunning.

Alexei shook his head, his lips tightening. "You must have been lonely, cara," he said. Metty's eyes moistened and she held back tears as his understanding.

They reached the gazebo. Alexei fastened the reins to a railing as Metty climbed the steps and sat on a seat. Alexei joined her and put his arm around her shoulders. She leaned against him. She was at peace.

"I'm pretty sure Bryan is going to forget Bryany when his son comes. Bryan, Jr. She's going to resent it. Maybe forever."

"It's a pity. He has a healthy daughter and a son on the way. Many people pray for such a family."

"Poor kid. She's also jealous of me." She looked at him. "Because of you. She resents that I'm riding here and you like me although I'm not, not." She stopped.

Alexei waited.

"Not your usual type."

"What's my type?" He leaned forward. "Tell me. I'm curious. So I'll know when I find my type."

She looked at him, struggling not to giggle. "Beautiful. Rich, glamorous. Good family, rich, with a mother who doesn't get drunk at a dinner with the President." She paused. "Slimmer. Like Jessica or Madison."

He watched her as she waited, anxious, for his answer. "I thought Jessica was my type until I saw what was beneath her beauty. The soul endures. I fell in love with you. Our backgrounds are different, but not incompatible. Your mother is not your fault. She is not the only one with difficulties. We have time to decide our future. As for your figure, I have a place to fit every curve." He kissed her. She relaxed against him.

"I told Bryany I'd pay for riding lessons for her this summer. It may comfort her a little."

"She can ride with us occasionally. There's a pony the Menuzo children no longer ride. I'll ask Bart if she can ride him. Poky's getting fat."

Metty smiled. She raised her hand to Alexei's on her shoulder and rested it against his hand. They sat together for a minute, until Bolero pricked his ears and looked to the path. Franco raised his head and watched the path, too.

Alexei looked to see what the horses had heard.

"Popi and President Biden are headed this way, with Mamita and a few others." He looked puzzled. "They must want to take pictures here."

Metty got up and stretched. "Let's go back to the stable. I've got to get home. Mom wants to go grocery shopping."