Chapter 38

Alexei unlocked the front door of the Reynold's house and held it open for Metty. She walked through the dark entryway as Alexei followed her and turned on a table lamp.

"I won't be long," he said. "Please sit down." He bounded up the stairs two at a time.

Metty sat on the sofa, looking around the room with its fine furnishings and portraits of the Reynolds. She took out her compact and looked at herself in the mirror. She applied fresh lipstick. She was blotting her lips with a tissue when Ava came downstairs.

"You look lovely," she said.

"Thanks," Metty replied. She put her things in her purse.

"Did you want some tea or coffee? I can't sleep, so I came down to get some warm milk."

"No, thanks. Can I use the bathroom?"

"You know where it is, right?

Metty nodded. In the bathroom she looked in the mirror. The dark dress made her pale skin luminous, and her hazel eyes and chestnut hair had a sparkle. She fixed her makeup and hair.

Girl, what are you thinking? The more you see him, the more you like him. You falling in love with him? He goes back to his palaces and his princesses and duchesses and supermodels and forgets the schoolmarm wearing a second-hand gown he took to a dance in Charleston? Enjoy it while it lasts.

When she returned to the living room, Alexei and Ava were talking in Spanish. He saw her enter and they switched to English. "The dinner at Dalmurias is arranged," he said.

Ava nodded. "Metty, do you speak Spanish?"

Metty shook her head, her curls bouncing. "No, French. What I learned in school."

"You should learn a little Spanish if you're around Alexei and Marco." Ava yawned. "Milk and honey is working. I hope you had a wonderful time at the dance."

Alexei looked at Metty. "We did," he said.

"I'm going back to bed. Good night, Metty."

Alexei stood up. "Would you like to go somewhere and get something to eat? The night is mild. I can get a blanket and we can sit on the porch swing, if it isn't too cold, and talk for a bit?"

"Let's talk. I'm too wired to go to sleep."

*

Jessica walked through the living room of her parents' beachfront house on Sullivan's Island. Most of the lights were off. The ETAS and their dates occupied various chairs, the floor, the sofas, and one closet. Most were drinking the Winston's excellent liquor, making out and more. There was a possible threesome behind the bar. She looked around for Marco. He was watching Madison covertly.

He was squeezed in an easy chair with Agatha. Jessica relaxed. Agatha was no threat. She was so drunk she was nodding off. Madison was the danger. She spotted the blond in the clingy red dress straddling Adrian's lap, his hands roaming.

Jessica opened the locked liquor cabinet, put two ice cubes in a glass, and poured a generous amount of Lagavulin over it. She poured another glass of Jim Beam Black. She went to Marco.

"Your glasses are empty." She handed him the Lagavulin and gave the Jim Beam to Agatha. Agatha sipped. "Dad's Jim Beam Black is good, isn't it?" She smiled at Agatha.

With effort, Agatha focused on Jessica. For the life of her, she couldn't figure out what Jessica wanted. She took a large swallow. It was good. It must not be cheap whiskey masquerading as good, then. She nodded, taking another swallow. Her eyelids closed briefly.

Marco sipped his whiskey. The excellent taste of Lagavulin filled his senses. He smiled at Jessica, lifting his glass in a toast. "You make a good hostess, Jessica." He indicated the glass. "The best." She smiled back. She knew his uncanny sense of taste let him identify liquors and foods easily.

"Only the best for you." Jessica walked back to the kitchen. She'd need to start preparing breakfast soon and get her guests out. If her parents found out about this drunken ETA party, their anger would be formidable. Adm. Winston was the leading candidate for Ambassador to Almurias. If she injured—or worse—ruined his chances, her parents would cut off her generous allowance. Her inheritance could replace it, but she preferred spending her parents' money.

Agatha's head drooped as she slept. Marco moved her aside gently and stood up. He looked for Jessica and saw her safely out of the way in the kitchen. He walked past Madison, stroking her back with a fingertip. He left the room and waited in the shadows by the stairs.

Madison pushed away from Adrian. "I've got to freshen up. You want another drink while you wait for me?"

Adrian nodded. Madison got him a large whiskey. "Drink it all. You really mussed me up." She smiled provocatively. "I'll be a while." She walked into the hall and straight to Marco. She kissed him, her tongue slipping into his mouth.

He drew back. "We don't have long. Jessica is watching for me."

Madison led him down the hall into Adm. Winston's study. The room had a view of the ocean, waves white-tipped in the moonlight. She shut the door and locked it.

"This room is, like, totally sound proofed." Madison grinned wickedly. "No one can hear us. I know how noisy you like to get." She reached into her bodice and pulled out a condom. She took it out of the wrapper as he pulled down the zipper on her dress. It fell to the floor. She was naked but for a thong and heels. She stepped away from the dress and tore the little square package open. He slid her thong down her thighs, kissing them as he did. She gasped, moaned, and moaned again. She bit the condom wrapper and tore the package open. She spit out a piece of wrapper. This was going exactly as she wanted. Better. She was aroused. She stepped out of the panties. Marco was ready for the condom.