Chapter 4

Metty sat at the same table by the café window, reading her notes. She sipped coffee from a travel mug as Alexei walked up just before nine and sat in the other chair. She remembered a phrase she'd heard somewhere. 'Punctuality is the politeness of princes.' Alexei wasn't a prince, just the son of a princess, but he had good manners.

"What are you reading?" he asked.

"Notes I got online about our CofC ghosts. They've even got old pictures of the area. Antebellum. Right for our project."

"Let's go, then."

He waited as she collected her things. They walked out the door just as Jessica arrived. She stopped by Alexei, standing so that he turned away from Metty.

"Alexei, hello." She placed her hand on his arm and kissed his cheek. "Have you decided about Friday night?"

"Sorry, but it looks like we can't make the party. The Reynolds have dinner guests and Marco and I must be there." He leaned a little closer to Jessica.

"That's that, then." She removed her hand. "Where are you going? Do you want to have lunch later?"

"Metty and I. Oh, I'm sorry. Have you two met? He stepped back and turned to Metty.

Jessica glanced at Metty, then looked at Alexei. "I mostly hang with ETAs."

"Jessica, this is Metty Griffin. Metty, this is Jessica Winston." Metty held out her hand. After a moment she pulled it back. "We're working on a class assignment," Alexei said. His brow wrinkled at Jessica's snub.

"Uh-hunh. Call me, Alexei. We'll go out on our yacht."

"Later, Jessica. We have to work on our assignment."

Jessica nodded, kissed his cheek again, and left.

Metty watched Jessica walk away. She's gorgeous coming and going. Alexei and all the other guys are watching her. Some girls have all the luck.

Alexei watched Jessica walk away. She turned and smiled at him and he waved.

"She was very...abrupt," said Metty.

"She is very direct and goal-oriented." He shook his head, confused. What does that even mean? Alexei wondered. I adore her, but she is beautiful enough to get away with rudeness, and she knows it. "On to schoolwork. Where is this haunted walkway?"

"Not far." She led him out of the building and stopped at a nearby corner. "Right over there."

They crossed the street and walked across the campus. Metty stopped before a building.

"This is the place. The ghosts are said to be right around there." She pointed at the spot,  and walked to it.

He followed her. "Here?"

She nodded and put her backpack down. "Let's take a few pictures. Stand over there, Alexei, OK?

Alexei moved to the spot. She snapped photos on her cell.

"The new library has research materials. I have to leave at noon for my job, so I want to go there now."

"Fine. Show me what you've found and I'll help.

Alexei and Metty examined photocopies strewn on the library table in front of them. He handed her one of an 1870's student on the steps of the old library.

"I like this one."

Metty looked at it and nodded. "You're right. It's good. I'll write up a draft and bring it to class on Tuesday."

"Can you email it to me when it's done?"

"Sure," she said. "Your email is on the class list, right?"

He nodded. "Under Alexei De Moreno. My first name."

"Oh. I didn't remember you said that. I thought it might be Almurias. Like Marco. Or do I call him Prince Marco?"

"At school he's Marco de Almurias, and I am Alexei de Moreno."

She nodded and put the papers in her binder and her binder in her backpack. "I'll email the story to you when it's ready." She stood up. "It's been good working with you."

He smiled. "I'll try to keep it good."

Metty said, "I didn't mean to sound sarcastic. I think we can write a good article." I've got to go, or I'll be late."

He held the library door open for her. She walked into the heat and humidity. Students moved from building to building or sat on the grass.

"When does it cool off?" he asked, following her out.

"October, probably. We've had a hot summer, and fall will likely be warmer than usual. Bad hurricane season." She turned to go down George Street. "I parked a few blocks away. See you Monday."

"See you."

Alexei walked to the student union, texting Marco as he went: Whr r u?

A minute later Marco replied: Café, waiting 4 you. Hungry. Lunch at deli?

Alexei looked up and saw Marco leaving the Café. He texted: Deli's fine. No girl today?

Marco walked up to him, followed by his bodyguard. They walked to King Street. "No, Madison has class. She talks too much anyway."

"You mean she doesn't listen to you."

Marco grinned. "That too. Still, she'll do till someone better comes along."

"She's considered quite a catch. According to cousin Dolores." Alexei grinned back.

Marco became serious. "Madison will never do. The future hereditary princess and consort of Almurias must understand her position. More importantly, me and my position. I'll marry the Duke of Santander's middle daughter."

"Drusila is 20 and still at Uni!"

"That gives me another few years to enjoy myself without having to answer to the family." Marco grinned.

"Do you think she'll have you?"

"I've known her since she was six weeks old. She understands me. What it means to be my princess and consort. We've been writing since last St. Nicolas Day. Her mother, that social climbing former telenovela actress, supports me. I paid a lot of attention to Drusila the last few times her family came to Olympiakos. I'll express my interest to the Duke and Duchess at Drusila's 21st birthday party next January. We'll settle the matter and marry after I've finished my military training. I've already spoken to Popi." Marco opened a few buttons on his shirt and flapped the edges to cool off.

"What did Grandfather say?" Alexei asked.

Marco grinned. "Popi looked at me, raised his eyebrows, and said he would approve the match. If I could convince her and her family." He smiled enticingly at a lovely brunette standing at the corner with an unattractive blond girl. "Hello, Agatha," he said to the brunette.

The blond said, "Hello, Marco." He nodded once and ignored her.

"Hello, Marco," said Agatha. "How are you doing?"

"Wonderful." Marco smiled. "I'll see you in class Monday. Can you have lunch with me then?"

"Sure," Agatha said.

Marco smiled again, and the men, followed by Marco's bodyguard, crossed the street.