Chapter 30

Alexei walked into the living room as Father Menuzo and his family were preparing to leave. Ava showed them to the door. She turned to Alexei. "Popi wants to talk to you privately." Alexei heard her go in the kitchen and speak to the housekeeper.

"Library in an hour?" Marco asked Alexei. Alexei nodded. Marco left, followed by Dolores.

Don Sebastian beckoned Alexei to sit next to him on the couch. Alexei grabbed a few hors d'oeuvres and sat down.

"Use a plate, please," Alma said, laughing. She handed him a plate and napkin. He grinned, popped a tea sandwich in his mouth and put the rest on his plate. Alma sat down by Sancha and Sergei.

"Alexei, Sancha has spoken to us of your Metty Griffin," said Sebastian.

Alexei, mouth full of chicken on white, nodded.

"We like her and are happy you may have found someone."

"You mean not Jessica," Alexei said.

"Verdad, the family are not fond of Jessica. Marco will return to Almurias after exams, but Sancha says you wish to stay through next summer. Because of Metty?"

Alexei put down half a cracker and cheese. He thought before he answered.

"In part, yes. I want to see if this feeling is as real as it seems. Metty likes me, but she doesn't love me. She may never love me, or I her. We've never actually had our first date. My feelings for her may cool while I work here on my thesis for LSE."

Don Sebastian nodded. "There is also the matter of your inheritance from Fyodor Grigorievich. It is significant."

Alexei nodded. It was 150,000,000 euros. "Papa and I have discussed it. I have to work two more months of manual labor to release my inheritance. I have found a job here that the trustees have already approved."

Sebastian nodded.

"Pedicab."

Sebastian's brow wrinkled. "Pedicab?"

"Yes, the little carriages attached to a bicycle. You've seen them hanging around the Market, waiting for passengers."

"Oh, sí," said Alma. "You will get fresh air, sunshine, exercise. Tianito, we must ride in one."

"Claro, Alma, claro. What will you do, mijo?" he asked. "Afterwards? When you return? Visit Metty here?"

"If our relationship grows, I will ask her to live with me here when school lets out next May. We should know by then if we both want a longer relationship. If she or I don't, I will return to Almurias in May and complete my work obligation harvesting lumber at Estancia Moreno.

He ate an olive, chewing slowly. "If the summer goes well, I will ask her to visit me in London next Fall. Mamita thinks any further step in our relationship should wait till after Marco marries.

Sebastian looked at him. "Are you that serious? So soon?"

Alexei nodded slowly. "I think I am. It was not love at first sight, but one night I looked at her and realized I was falling in love. We fit together somehow." He looked from his grandfather to his mother. "Things must move slowly, of course."

Sebastian looked at Alma and smiled. He said, "Yes. Marco and Drusila should marry and Marco succeed as Prince. Then you can pursue your relationship with Metty."

"Maybe, Popi, maybe. We are planning a fantasy, perhaps."

"We'll see how you and Metty get along. I liked her." He nodded, thoughtfully. "If things go well, I could give you permission to marry her, before I abdicate. It is early days." He stood up. "Now I must return to the hotel. I have letters from Almurias to answer and notices from the Cortés."

"We're going too, mijo," said Sancha. "We'll see you and your young lady tomorrow at the play. Adios." She kissed his cheek.