Chapter 48

Drusilla danced lightly with Marco, as ever. They had always been a good pair. She smiled at him. "I must take this opportunity to talk with you, for I do not know when I may speak with you alone again."

He kept his expression neutral, and danced her away from the crowd. When they reached the doors to the balcony, a footman opened the French doors. Marco escorted Drusila out into the cool night air. Two other couples were on the balcony, one kissing, and the other standing close and talking. He led Drusila away from them to the railing. They were silent for a few minutes, looking over Olympiades.

"My dear friend, I thought we would always be together," Drusila began. "So did our families. Life has taken us on separate paths. I hope yours leads you where you want to go."

He looked at her unhappily, unable to speak.

"We will never be together, Marco," she continued, "as we once thought. You have found someone else. I know this. I know you. Her name is Madison. I wish you happiness. Both of you."

A moment passed before he could speak. He took her hands in his. They were cold, and he wanted to warm them. "Drusila. My dear friend. Thank you. I hope you find your happiness, too."

She examined him as though she would never see him again and wanted to remember him this way forever. "I can't remember not knowing you. You were always in my life. Mother says you looked at me in my cradle and said, 'She's so tiny and pretty. When will she get big?'"

He nodded, remembering the day he first saw the newborn girl in her white christening dress and the fascination he felt only for her. Until Madison.

"We have always been friends, and I would like to keep your friendship, my first and oldest friend." Drusila looked at him anxiously.

"I will always be your friend, since I cannot be other," he said.

She smiled happily, "You are a good friend to have. The best." She kissed his lips lightly.

Marco led Drusila back in the ballroom and they danced again, floating around the ballroom gracefully. Drusilla laughed at something Marco said and gave him a kiss.

Sebastian watched from his seat on a low dais. He leaned over to Alma and patted her arm. He whispered, "Did you see, Alma?"

She nodded.

"Drusila kissed Marco. Things are going as we hoped there."

Alma looked at Marco doubtfully. The young man had sent Madison expensive Christmas presents, which he had explained to her were parting gifts. She knew he lied.

"God grant you are right," she said quietly. Sebastian nodded, thinking she agreed with him, and watched Marco and Drusila dance.