Chapter 32

Alexei woke up early the next morning, stretched and sat up. He saw that Marco's bed had not been slept in. He hurried into the bathroom, showered, and dressed. He was collecting his schoolwork when the phone rang.

"Hello."

"Alexei? Is Marco there?

"No, Popi, he's not here."

"Please come to my suite before you leave."

"Yes, of course. I'll be there in a minute."

"Adios." Sebastian hung up.

A few minutes later Alexei knocked on Sebastian's door. Sebastian opened the door himself and they sat on the living room sofa.

"Alma is sleeping," he said. "Did Marco say what he planned to do last night? Did he say he'd spend the night with Agatha?"

"No. I returned about an hour after we left. I thought he would drive us to Metty's car, and he and I would return together after dropping Agatha off."

"According to Herberto, he went to Madison's after dropping Ms. Dunbar off."

Alexei paused for a minute before saying "Does he answer his phone?"

"He does not. Herberto says they left Madison's a few minutes ago. Tell me, what is so special about Madison?"

Alexei considered the woman known as Madgirl. "She is more than beautiful. She is sensual, sexy. Exactly Marco's type." He said, "I believe him when he says he wants to marry Drusila and assume his duties in Almurias." He searched for words. "He is between two things he wants, and Madison is here and now. I think it is good that he will return to Almurias soon. Away from Madison, he can concentrate on his future."

Sebastian sagged. Alexei moved over to him and put an arm around his shoulders. "Did you sleep last night? How do you feel?"

"I woke up early, found out Marco had not returned, and could not get back to sleep."

"Try to sleep now, Popi." Alexei looked at his grandfather's weary, lined face, pale with exhaustion.

Sebastian's phone dinged an incoming text. He read it.

"Herberto. They're in the hotel. I'll go to your rooms and wait for him."

"Do you want me to wait with you?"

"No, mijo, go to school. I will see you tonight."

They left the suite. Alexei put his hand on his grandfather's shoulder and squeezed it gently. The elevator door opened and Marco and Herberto walked into the hall. Marco stopped dead when he saw his grandfather. Sebastian motioned Alexei to leave. Alexei got on the elevator. As the doors shut, he saw Marco following Sebastian down the hall.

*

In Sebastian's suite, Marco sat down and watched his grandfather warily. They were silent, as Sebastian watched Marco gloomily. The silence dragged as time seemed to slow.

"Popi."

Sebastian looked at him.

"Popi, I'm sorry."

"Sorry is not an answer for a prince. Not that we do not make mistakes, but we have a higher duty, and Leonardos do not take cheap advantage of our opportunities. In this day and age, even small problems become big disasters."

"I know, Popi, I know."

"Madison Portnoy. I have learned of her. She is beautiful, selfish, venal. And utterly desirable."

Marco hung his head.

"Did you tell her you will return to Almurias to stay? Without her?"

"No. She knows I see other women. She accepts it."

Sebastian shook his head. "She is the type to want it all. All is not enough. You attract that kind of woman. Jessica wants you too. I would prefer her to Madison but that's like choosing between nightmares and insomnia. Jessica takes what she wants because she believes it is her right."

"Jessica was never my type."

"One more incident, Marco, mijo, and I will not pass the throne to you anytime soon. Even if Drusila still marries you. The Prime Minister and her ministers wish you to show more responsibility. I agree with them, although I have not said so."

Marco hung his head. "Popi, I have indulged myself. I will commit to my military service. I know the next few years are important to Almurias. The naval base, your health, the economy after the pandemic."

"I hope so, Marco. You have great ability and great desires. You must learn to manage both."

"With your help, I can."

Sebastian stood up and held out his arms. Marco walked over to him. They hugged. Sebastian stepped back. He looked at Marco affectionately.

"I will go to my room and rest. I did not sleep much last night. Are you going to school?"

Marco shook his head and grinned wryly. "I, too, did not sleep much last night."