Chapter 77

Metty checked the time. 12:37 AM. Alexei slept quietly beside her, but she kept dozing and waking up. He offered to give up his surfing day, but she insisted he go. He told her he was leaving at dawn and to join him when she got up. She turned over, then turned again, restlessly. Finally, she closed her eyes, and started reciting the Rosary. June had taught her to pray it, and she prayed it when she couldn't get to sleep. She drifted off to restless dreams.

*

The sun was shining through the window when she woke up. She had decided what she would do and it was good. She hurried through breakfast and made a few phone calls. She changed into her swimsuit and went to find Alexei.

He was sitting on his board beyond the swells, waiting for the right wave. She watched, entranced by the sight of him. Blond hair, wet, muscles flexing as he paddled into a wave, standing up to ride it to shore. She waved, and he waved back.

He carried his surfboard through the shallows and across the beach to her, wedging it into the sand. "My B.A.E."

"Good morning, bambi."

He smiled tentatively "Bom día, cara."

"I've decided what I'm going to do."

"Yes?"

"I'm going to take Doña Sancha's advice."

"¿Doña Sancha? ¿Mí madre?" He looked at her, curious.

"Sí. Yes. She told me to live my life now. Like, not put grad school off because I can't go to Boston this Fall. This morning when I woke up, I knew she was right."

He listened attentively.

"So I applied to grad school at the College a few weeks ago. I accepted this morning and I start this summer. I called the school, and I'll be ready to start next month."

"Bueno."

"I love you. You go to London. I visit you there. Is that still good?

"It's marvelous." He slapped the surfboard.

"I should complete my degree August next year."

"We can take it from there. I can visit here often while you are in school. Of course, the invitation to Three King's Day in Almurias is still on."

"I love you. When I feel my love for you, I can endure the gossip and hate. You're right about the nasty gossip. I don't know how to handle it, but together, maybe we can work it out." She put her arms around his neck.

He nodded. "We're in this together."

"As for gossip, let's give them something to talk about."

The End