Winter 2021-2022 - Chapter 45

"Bom días, Almurianos!" Beep! Beep! Beep! Alexei stirred, stretching. "Hoy día es Diciembre 21. Good day, Almurianos! Today is December 21. The Winter Solstice, shortest day of the year."

Alexei fumbled for the radio and pushed the snooze button, silencing the DJ and the alarm. He knocked over a photo frame. He yawned, sat up, and set the frame upright. The frame held a picture of Metty in the green dress from 'Pride and Prejudice.'

The door opened. Panza, his valet, entered with a tray.

"Buen mañana, Don Alexei. It's nine A.M. Would you like coffee or tea?"

"Tea, thank you." Alexei sat up, put the pillow behind him and leaned against it as Panza fixed tea with the cream and sugar Alexei liked.

Panza handed him the cup and Alexei took a sip. Panza moved to the closet, taking out a suit.

"Tonight is the debut of Doña Dolores," Alexei said.

"Yes, sir. Don Sebastian wants the entire family for lunch."

"What time?"

"At one."

*

The bell tower in Iglesia Familia Sagrada on the grounds of Palacio Mondragon rang 1:00 PM as Alexei took his seat at the table with his family: grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, brothers, and various cousins, including the Reynolds. Dolores, who would be the lead debutante at the Baile des Jovenes that night, was the unofficial guest of honor at lunch.

"Are you ready for the dance tonight, cara," Alma asked?

"As ready as I can be, Mamma," she replied. "I've waited for this night ever since Branca debuted. Your daughter was so lovely, tío Juan. The prettiest girl at that ball."

"She has no equal," said Juan. "My Branca is beyond compare."

Dolores began to eat salad.

"Mamma and Ava helped Dolores with her dress and accessories. She will be exquisite," said Sancha.

"Dolores has beautiful coloring. And youth," said Alma. "I think each year's debutantes are lovelier than the last, but that may be my age, reminiscing. Or my eyesight has gotten bad."

"As you say, Mamma, the debutants are beautiful," said Juan, nodding. "And the caballeros are handsome. Popi, have you decided if Marco will address the Cortés this January?

"No, you will still give the Summons to the Representatives after I open the Cortés." Sebastian drank water, patted his mouth, and continued, "Marco will attend the Estado del Principe, and introduce me."

Juan nodded. This put him a step down in the Princely Family. He finished his salad. The staff removed the plates and replaced them with cheese soufflés. He said diplomatically, "Bueno. Marco is of age to take on his duties." He shoved his fork into his soufflé.

Sebastian watched Juan's reaction carefully. He knew Juan was ambitious. He believed Marco was erratic and not truly dedicated to his duties as heir.

"He will take his oath of office as Duque de Veza," said Sebastian.

"Gracias a Dios!" said Juan. "I am the first to welcome Marco to his rightful place in our family." He carefully took more souffle on his fork and ate it slowly.

Sebastian changed the subject. "There will be 425 guests at tonight's Baile de Jovenes, with 50 debutantes."

"The last count was 45," said Alma. "This is the most prestigious ball for our young Almurians. We included a few more young men and women of distinction. A young lady who won a science competition. An Olympic athlete who gained Almurias a silver medal. A few others. I would like to invite more."

Sebastian nodded. "You are right, Alma. Marco, I hope you will dance with as many of these young ladies as possible after you have danced with Dolores."

"I will try, Popi," said Marco. "Don Luis and I have gone over the list and selected 20 of the girls as my partners. That will leave me several dances with Dolores and friends of mine. And a dance with Mamma." He looked at Alma, who smiled.

The staff cleared lunch plates and placed cheese and bread on the table.

"We will skip dessert today, as we will have an excellent dinner at the ball.

"I can hardly wait, Popi," said Dolores.

"This is your night, chica," said Sebastian.