Chapter 49

Nochebuena for Alexei began with Christmas Vigil Mass in the private family chapel at Mondragon. The family gathered afterwards in the private salon. A decorated tree glimmered with colored lights. The room was adorned with Christmas decorations, including a Nativity scene on the mantel over the fireplace. The three Wise Men were at the far end of the mantel. They would be moved closer every day till they reached the stable on Epiphany, January 6.

Most of the gifts had been opened. Sancha and Alejandra, Juan's wife, gathered the trash for the staff to take out later. Sebastian looked around at his family, gathered together. He was content, especially since Marco seemed to have made up with Drusila.

Alexei opened the gift from Metty. It had two items: a small, flat, rectangular package and a small box. He unwrapped the box. Inside was a sand dollar painted with the Splash Fountain and a Christmas tree with a gold ribbon for hanging. On the back Metty had written 'Nochebuena 2021'.

He touched the fragile sand dollar with a fingertip, gently. He hung it on a branch of the Christmas tree with care.

"Encantando," said Sancha. "From your Metty?"

"Sí, Mamita."

He opened the flat box. It held a framed picture of him and Marco that Metty had taken. They had finished jogging around the Battery, and, flushed and happy, were laughing together.

Sancha yawned. She was very pale.

"Are you all right, Mamita?" Alexei asked, worried. She had been sick for several days.

"Tired. Up too late, mijo," she said.

"I am going to bed," said Sebastian, standing. "Feliz Navidad, mi familia. I will see you all at breakfast." He left, accompanied by Alma. The others followed them out.

Alexei walked Sancha to her room. She leaned heavily on his arm. At her door, he said, "Mama, have you seen the doctor?"

"You and Sergei and Rodrigo. Everyone. I've seen the doctor. I go again next week."

She patted his cheek. "Sleep well, mijo. Feliz navidad." He kissed her cheek and opened the door.

Sergei looked out of the bathroom and waved.

"Feliz Navidad, Papa."

"May your dreams come true".

"Gracias, Papa. Hasta mañana."

Sancha shut the door behind her. Alexei went to his room.

*

Christmas dinner at Sylvia's was a quiet affair. Bryan tried on his suit, preening, and said, "I'll wear this New Year's Eve. Bryany and I are invited to dinner at Alice's. Just us two." Sylvia looked hurt. Cathy and Metty made eye contact, and Cathy shrugged.

Metty opened her gift from Alexei. It was a pendant on a gold chain and earrings that matched the bracelet he had given her. She put them on, slipping the pendant under her sweater. The cool metal warmed against her skin.