Chapter 50

On New Year's Eve, Sebastian entered the small ballroom at Mondragon with Alma on his arm. The rest of his family and two dozen invited guests waited. Sebastian raised his wineglass in the traditional Almurian toast: "Que el nuevo año nos traiga salud, felicidad y buena fortuna. Gracias a Dìos."

"Que podamos tener bendiciones para compartir. Gracias a Dìos." The guests responded. Crystal chimes rang as the partiers touched glasses. They drank, and the party officially began.

Marco touched his glass with Don Jairo, Drusila's father.

"Prospero año nuevo," Marco said. "Y usted, tambien, Don Jairo responded and sipped his champagne.

"Excellent champagne, Don Marco," he said. "I hope your stay in North Carolina was a good one.

"South Carolina, Don Jairo." He met the eyes of the man who had hoped to be his father-in-law calmly. "I enjoyed my visit there. Alexei is returning to finish his studies, but I'll stay here."

"Drusila is going to school in Madrid in January. She will study finance."

"She was always good with economics. Madrid is a fine city."

Don Jairo said, "She says she will work in banking, international finance. Helping people in underdeveloped areas."

"She will be good there. Drusila works with grass roots efforts to help impoverished people improve their lives."

"Grass roots?"

"She contributes to organizations that provide cows or other animals to poor farmers so they can have more income."

"Sí, sí. She also raises money for an orphanage in Mexico, run by Franciscans."

"I've contributed there," Marco said, dryly. "Many times."

Doña Petra, his wife, turned to them.

"Hola," she said. "Prospero año nuevo."

"Happy New Year," Marco replied. "How are you, Doña Petra? I didn't get to talk to you at the ball."

"I'm well, thank you. We're all well. Drusila hardly had a chance to see you at the ball. She had two dances only with you."

He smiled blandly. "Drusila and I are old friends. Don Jairo tells me she will study in Madrid next year."

"Yes," said Petra. She looked displeased. "You two might catch up at her birthday party. We invited many young people."

"I'll be there to celebrate her birthday. Dru is one of my oldest friends. Excuse me, I must talk to Don Sebastian." He walked over to Sebastian. Jairo understands that Drusila and I will not marry, but Petra believes things remain as they were.

Sebastian was talking with Christina Algarve, the Prime Minister, and her husband, Don Arturo Algarve. They turned to Marco as he approached and greeted him.

"Prospero año nuevo, Ministeria Prima, how are you?"

"Well, thank you. Excited for Almurias in the coming year."

"Don Sebastian has spoken of changes to the Constitution to be voted on in February. Be assured I support them."

She nodded. "Thank you. We are glad you are home. I understand you start your military service in January."

"That's right. I'm eager to start." And get it over with.

*

A few hours after midnight, Sebastian sat on Alma's bed as she rested on pillows against the headboard, chatting idly of the party.

"What's bothering you, Tianito? Something is."

"Do you think Marco will marry Drusila next year?

Alma sighed, smoothed the covers, and shook her head. "Drusila has confided in me that they will never marry."

Sebastian leaped up and started pacing. "I suspected that. Who is it? Madison?"

"Undoubtedly. Marco has been very discreet. Herberto does not know much. They had many opportunities to be alone at school without anyone knowing."

Sebastian clasped his hands together. "I prayed sending him to Charleston would keep him from temptation. It has done the opposite. They must have taken full advantage of such secrecy."

"I don't doubt it. Don't distress yourself, mi amor."

"Alma, I won't have that venal, money-hungry trollop join our family."

"Do you think it's that serious?"

Sebastian sat down on the bed's edge. "No. Yes. I am afraid it is." He groped for her hand and held it. She patted his hand.

"There's very little we can do. If you forbid him to see her, he will see her outside of Almurias."

"I have had her, and her family, investigated."

"I read the reports."

"Her father has some wealth stretched thin between five wives and eight children. Madison's mother was her father's third wife. After Madison was born, the mother divorced the old man for a settlement. Not very large, now gone. In the summers, Madison and her mother run after wealthy Eurotrash who can pay for their company, hoping to catch one. The girl goes to the College of Charleston because it was one of the few schools her father would pay for and continue to support her and her mother."

"Marco must have seemed like a miracle to them."

"Unfortunately. They will never have my permission to marry. If they go around me to the Cortés for permission, I will leave my personal fortune to Marco's heir."

Alma chose her words with care. "It may be unwise to provoke Marco. Be patient. Do not oppose their relationship. You do not have to welcome her at Court. Perhaps she will fall into disfavor with our people. Marco may then decide to give her up. Despite his obsession with this woman, I still believe he is devoted to Almurias before her." She waited for her husband's answer.

Sebastian nodded, slowly. He sighed with relief. "You are wise. He will not have the throne and that woman while God grants me life. I think you are right, mi amor. As always." He leaned over and kissed Alma.