Chapter 37

"Next up, our new song, 'Dancing with You,' said the bandleader. He signaled the group to begin. The piano player began a soft romantic tune as the other musicians joined in.

Alexei and Metty danced slowly. They didn't speak, looking into each other's eyes. She put her arm tighter around his neck, and he held her closer. He looked at her eyes, her lips, her eyes again, and lowered his head. She closed her eyes and raised her face. They kissed, broke apart, and kissed again. The song ended, and they returned to the table. The others were dancing, so they sat holding hands.

"What were you talking about with Marco? Laughing?"

"Oh, about you."

"Am I so funny, cara?"

"Marco was saying you two were best friends."

"That's funny, cara?"

She shook her head, and looked at him. "He said he is a great friend to have."

Alexei laughed. "He is, and he tells you so." She laughed with him. Then she sobered up, her brow wrinkling.

"Something wrong?"

"Oh! No, no. I just wondered what cara meant. Something about heart?"

Alexei smiled at her. "It's Italian for 'dear.' Doña Alma called the girls that when they were babies. She called the boys, bambi.'

"Oh, bambi. Well, bambi, I'd like another lemon water."

"I'll get it. Something to eat?"

"Sure. Dancing with you works up an appetite."

While he was gone, Metty watched the dancers. Dolores danced with Adrian, Agatha with Chris, and Marco with Madison. Madison pressed tightly against Marco. He held her close and his hand dropped lightly to her derriere. Agatha saw them and knew she was a beard.

*

Madison stared into Marco's eyes. His hand cupped her buttock and she relaxed into his grip. She could feel his arousal. She took a deep, slow breath and pressed against him.

She looked into his eyes, licked her lips. "I want you. Now. There's a room in the back. We can lock the door." Marco grabbed her hand. She turned to lead him to the room when the band played a drumroll.

"Marco? Marco?" said Agatha. "The dance competition is starting."

Madison shook her head as she released Marco's hand and joined Adrian. Marco hid his irritation and went with Agatha.

The band played a slow number. Pairs were disqualified as the bandleader called random items pulled from a jar. The first was any couple wearing purple. Two couples returned to their table. The next was any wristwatch. Four couples were disqualified, including Metty and Alexei. The winning couple was Memo and his date, Ned, who won gift certificates to the school store.

"Congratulations," said Dolores, as the boys walked past them to their table.

*

Metty and Alexei stayed till 1:00 AM, when the bandleader called the last dance. "Our last dance, tonight," he said. Jessica moved to their table.

"Alexei? Dance with me? We haven't danced all night."

"I'm dancing the last dance with Metty." He turned away from her and led Metty to the far side of the dance floor as the music began.

"I've enjoyed tonight," Metty said. "Being with you. I like dancing."

"You're the woman I want to dance with tonight," Alexei said. The lights went out to oohs and aahs, as the music continued. Alexei pulled Metty closer and they kissed.

Someone bumped into them. "Oof. Sorry. Can't see in the dark," Jessica said.

"Excuse us," Alexei said, and pulled Metty far away from the crowd and Jessica. They kissed until the lights came on.

They walked back to their table, ignoring Jessica.

"That was the last dance," said the bandleader. "We hope you enjoyed your night. Drive home safely." The band began to pack up as people left.

Metty and Alexei remained at their table. "Let's wait a bit, till the rush clears out," he said. "Unless you'd like to leave right away?".

"We can sit here as well as in traffic," she replied.

Several minutes later they left and walked to his car. The road was clear and Alexei pulled out. "Marco's going to Jessica's, but we can still get something to eat. Would you mind stopping by the house before I take you home," he asked? "It's morning in Almurias, and I want to check arrangements for Don Sebastian's trip here."