Chapter 65

Metty and Sylvia waited at the end of the reception line at the dinner for President Biden. The treaty for the base on Isla Manta had been signed in Washington two days ago. This dinner was to affirm the relationship between Almurias and the US.

Sebastian and Alma were assisted by Marco, Sancha, Alexei, the Reynolds, and Fr. Menuzo and his wife. The plantation house ballroom could seat about 75 for dinner. Metty knew an invitation to the cocktail party and dinner had been much in demand. Her invitation showed Sebastian approved of Alexei's interest in her.

Other than the Almurians, she knew only the Winstons. She recognized some guests from the news. Jessica was the most beautiful woman in the room in a glittering black cocktail dress with a circle cut out strategically under the low neckline. Heads turned when she walked by, and men and women stole surreptitious glances at her. She was here with her father, the newly appointed ambassador to Almurias. They were seated close to Sebastian. Metty hoped she wouldn't run into them.

Memo had come to the rescue again and found Metty an attractive blue-gray dress with a mermaid hemline. The apricot shawl went well with it. He'd also turned up a flattering blue dress and jacket for Sylvia.

She moved through the reception line to Alexei, who held her hand a moment longer after shaking it, before she moved to Princess Sancha. Sebastian greeted her warmly, and she and Sylvia went to the pre-dinner cocktail party.

Metty nursed a seltzer with lime as Sylvia drank a Cuba Libre. Father Menuzo spoke with her and introduced her to Adolfo Borrero, an undersecretary to Sebastian, and Lt. Eduardo Ruiz, an officer with the Almurian Navy. Adolfo was short and fair, but handsome in a dark suit. Eduardo was lean and muscular, handsome in his dress uniform. They were to escort Metty and Sylvia to dinner. They knew Alexei was interested in her and were discreetly curious about the mystery woman.

"How did you meet Don Alexei," Adolfo asked?

"We had a class together at college," Metty said. "We worked together on a project and got to know one another."

"I knew Don Alexei when he served with the Air Force, before he went to school in London," said Eduardo. "That's when he was in the plane crash. I am glad to see he is doing well. We are very proud of Don Alexei at home."

"Yes," said Metty, who knew Alexei had fractured a leg in the crash. He had swum to shore and back to the plane, saving cadets. He hadn't mentioned it. She knew he would tell her about it when the time was right.

They chatted until they heard the summons for dinner. Adolfo offered Sylvia his arm and Eduardo escorted Metty.

They shared a table with four other guests. Sylvia simpered and fluttered as they sat down. She'd had two Cuba Libres and was buzzed.

Metty was seated between Eduardo and an elderly man who was a secretary at the Almurian embassy in Washington. Sylvia sat next to him with Adolfo on her far side. The secretary's wife and another couple completed the table. The elderly gentleman introduced himself as an assistant to Ambassador Urraca. They talked as the waitstaff served the appetizer.

Metty looked around at the guests. She was startled to see Jessica sitting next to Alexei. She was paying quite a bit of attention to him, and he responded. She continued to sneak surreptitious glances at their table during dinner. The excellent food and wine might as well have been fast food.

Jessica kept Alexei focused on her until the entrée was finished. She laid her hand on his arm, leaving it there. He grinned tightly at Jessica, and Metty realized he was annoyed. He moved his arm from Jessica, and turned to the woman on his other side. She thought he was relieved. She relaxed. A waiter placed chocolate mousse before her. She stroked her spoon across the creamy swirls and tasted it. Delicious.