Chapter 13

Marco sat in the private sitting room used by Sebastian when he was at the Almurian Ambassador's residence. Ambassador Jorge Urraca and his wife were too diplomatic to show dismay when he told them he was bringing a guest. Sra. Urraca put Marco in the Prince's suite and Madison in the second bedroom connected to its sitting room. Marco had never brought a woman with him before. 

Urraca knew Prince Sebastian wanted no unpleasant publicity. If paparazzi learned Marco was there with a college girl, they'd follow him everywhere to get pictures. The beautiful Madison would bring even more unwelcome attention. He was relieved Marco and Madison seemed content to stay in. He was annoyed that they spent most of their time in Marco's suite together but did not show it. He felt Prince Marco should have devoted his time in Washington to diplomatic business.

Madison entered Marco's sitting room from her bedroom. She was dressed to go out. "I have to buy some clothes suitable for dinner with the Ambassador." She was thrilled to be with Marco and staying at an ambassador's residence made it better. "I didn't realize dinners here would be so formal."

"We don't dress for dinner usually. Cocktail dresses will be fine. I'll give you some money." He knew, but didn't say, that the more formal dinners were because Urraca wanted to make Madison uncomfortable. He unlocked a desk drawer and handed her $5000. She put it in her purse and kissed him.

"I'll buy dresses. Do I need a new dress for every night?"

"Two dresses will do. We should return to Charleston Wednesday. The butler has called you a car."

"Does Dolores have to go with me?" Madison asked. She was bored with and jealous of the vivacious, intelligent, young woman.

Marco nodded. He paused. "You do know not to mention Almurias? Or me?"

"Are you ashamed of me?"

"Never." He took her in his arms. "Our relationship is not...officially recognized. This way, it should be assumed you are here with Dolores. Grandfather would be displeased if we attracted paparazzi, and might put an end to us."

She understood the warning. "You name will stay in my heart and not cross my lips."

They kissed for a long time. The phone rang. He ignored it. Marco broke away at a discreet knock on the door.

"Come in."

The butler opened the door.

"Don Marco, the car for the young lady is ready. Doña Dolores is already in the car."

"Thank you, Gomez."

"I'll be back by dinner," said Madison. She picked up her raincoat and purse and walked out. Gomez shut the door silently and followed her.

In the foyer, Gomez helped her into her raincoat, handed her an umbrella, and opened the front door. She walked out. He followed and opened the car door for her. He shut it after she slid in, watching as the car drove off.

When Gomez entered the house Urraca was waiting. "Gomez, please come into my office." Gomez bowed and followed Urraca into his private office.

Urraca sat behind his desk. Gomez stood silently, waiting for the Ambassador to speak. Urraca motioned him to a seat. "Gomez, I would appreciate your observations on an extremely delicate matter."

Gomez nodded once, eyes on Urraca. "If I can help, Your Excellency."

Urraca fiddled with a pen. "Don Marco and his young lady. Prince Sebastian is concerned that there be no publicity." Gomez nodded. "Don Marco understands the need for discretion. Miss Portnoy seems to understand. She smiles and goes along with our suggestions for activities. She makes no effort to be seen with the Prince in public. Just Dolores Reynolds. Anyone watching them might think she was a friend of Ms. Reynolds."