Chapter 31

The last performance of 'Pride and Prejudice' was a sellout. The Leonardos sat on the aisle of the first row and went unnoticed by the audience.

The cast got a standing ovation after the performance, taking several bows. Jessica's outstanding performance got the most applause. Several audience members got on stage to congratulate the cast. Marco brought Dr. Wilson over to his grandparents and presented him.

"We enjoyed the play immensely, Dr. Wilson," Sebastian said, "and to see our grandsons perform."

"Thank you, sir," said Dr. Wilson. "Cast and crew worked very hard. I am pleased with the play."

"Jessica Winston, whom we know, was outstanding. She could be a professional."

"Yes, she could. I would like her in future plays."

Alma nodded. "She'd be an asset." They chatted briefly, then Sebastian and Alma talked to others. They made their way to Alexei and Metty, chatting with Memo, Sancha and Sergei.

"Memo designed the costumes," Alexei said.

"They're fantastic," Alma said. "Do you want to design for theater or movies?"

"Maybe. I think I'd like to have my own design line. Not just high fashion, but good ready-to-wear for women."

"That can be challenging. I wish you luck." Alma turned to Metty. "You were marvelous. So sincere. A good foil for Elizabeth and Collins. Alexei, you should thank her for being such a good partner."

"I will, I will." Alexei said, laughing, as Jessica came over.

"What's so funny?" she asked, smiling beautifully. The blue wedding dress she wore for the last scene set off her blue eyes, fair coloring, dark hair and flattered her slim, lithe figure.

Metty watched Jessica. She is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. No wonder Alexei can't take his eyes off her. Rats.

"Hello, Jessica," said Alma. "You were marvelous tonight."

"Thanks. I've enjoyed this. Working with Marco. And Alexei. Perhaps we'll work together in another play."

"Possibly," said Alma. "We admired Memo's costumes."

Jessica said, "They're beautiful. They made us look elegant and attractive. Metty even looked good in her green dress." Alma's smile tightened. "He chose such an attractive color for her. It would look good on anyone."

Metty flushed at the subtle dig.

"Yes, that green suits her very well," Alma said. "Fortunately he also found a blue that is right for you. Excuse me. I would speak to some of the other students. Marco, will you show me around?" Marco walked off with Alma and Sebastian.

Alexei said, "Metty, join us for coffee? At the hotel."

Metty nodded. "I'll change," she said.

"Me, too," said Alexei. They walked off together.

Jessica watched them go.

*

Metty sat next to Agatha in the sitting room of Sebastian's suite. Marco had invited her instead of Madison, promising to make it up to Madgirl. Sebastian had told him not to bring Madison, and Marco had agreed immediately, to Sebastian's relief, as he thought it meant Marco was over Madison.

Alma poured coffee and tea for everyone. They talked of the play, school, Charleston, and Christmas in the US and Almurias.

"The Christmas season ends on Epiphany, which we celebrate the thirteenth day after Christmas," Alma said. "Twelfth Night celebrates the Baptism of Christ and the arrival of the Three Kings. There is a big parade. People wear masks, costumes, ride floats. This began in 1549 in celebration of the end of a plague. The Blessed Virgin obtained for us this miracle."

They talked for a few minutes more, then Sebastian thanked the girls for coming. Alexei and Marco stood up. "We'll see Metty and Agatha out," said Marco. "We'll drop Metty off at her car. Hasta mañana."

*

Going down in the elevator, Marco said, "I'll see Agatha home, Alexei. I'll order my car. See you in the morning."

Alexei looked surprised but nodded. Agatha smiled with delight. She smiled flirtatiously at Marco, and he smiled back. The elevator arrived at the ground floor and Marco held the door as the others entered the lobby.

Alexei and Metty walked across the lobby holding hands. Marco led Agatha to the concierge to request his car. Agatha turned to watch Alexei and Metty closely.

"We're going this way," Marco said, leading her to the street door. "What's so interesting about them?"

"That's an odd couple," Agatha said.

"What?"

"That's what people are saying," she said. "Now that people know he's your cousin, there's a lot of interest in him. Since the play, he's been paying attention to little nobody Marletta, instead of trying to get Jessica's attention."

Marco frowned. "Who did they think he was?"

"Just a friend who came so you'd know someone here."

"The family visits regularly. We own property here and are public figures. Alexei is known as Don Sebastian's grandson."

"In Europe. Charleston isn't Europe. I guess we mind our own business and don't care much about others. I have to admit, we aren't impressed much by outsiders. Jessica knew he is your cousin, but she didn't talk about him. She has her eyes on you."

The valet drove up with Marco's Porsche. He got out and held the door for Marco and Agatha. Marco drove off.

*

An hour later Alexei let himself into the suite he shared with Marco. The rooms were dark. He slipped quietly inside so he wouldn't wake Marco, using his cellphone flashlight. In the dim light, Marco's bed was empty. Alexei turned on the light. He looked around the empty suite. Marco's with Agatha. Hope he doesn't stay too long. Popi and Mamma will be furious.

Very pleased with the way the evening had gone, and that his family approved of Metty, at least so far, he changed into pajamas, got under the covers and fell asleep immediately.