Chapter 10

In the café Alexei ordered lunch at the counter while Metty found a table and unpacked her lunch bag. Alexei sat down with his sandwich and tea as Metty held up a cup of strawberry yogurt. "You've got me eating yogurt," she said.

"A healthy habit. Do you have to work today?" he asked.

"This evening," she said. "Do you have another class today?"

"International Politics," he said. "At two.

"Journalism and politics. Do you want to write?"

"Very much. That's why I took the journalism class. I'd like our article to be published."

"Please tell me what objections there might be to publication."

He thought for a minute. "My family do not discuss certain topics." he said. "No politics. I don't expect any difficulties with this article. It tells something of Almurian history and culture. Both a plus." He smiled.

He has a charming smile. He should smile more often. She smiled back.

"When will you know?" she asked.

"I'll send Prince Sebastian's secretary the information tonight," he said. "We should have an answer in a few days."

"Wonderful," she said. "Here's to our article being published."

Alexei lifted his tea and Metty touched her soda to it. He felt more relaxed than he had since the plane crash in 2019.

"I should tell you." Metty paused, and began again, "I looked up your country and family online. A little. I didn't want to say or do something awkward or inappropriate. You know."

Alexei grinned wickedly, leaned forward and whispered, "What did you find out?"

Metty's lips twitched as she struggled not to smile. "During the first Crusade, some Greek soldiers learned that most of their island country had been destroyed by earthquakes. They had no home to return to, really. The King of Leon invited them to help fight Moors in his country, offering their leader the County of Almurias, a peninsula on the border of Spain and Portugal. Cyril I became the new Count. The official church is Almurian Orthodox, although there are a lot of Catholics and other religions. The official languages are Spanish and English. I don't know why. Since then Almurias has been independent, although it has strong ties to Spain and Portugal. Today it is a Principality under Sebastian III. His heir is Marco, his only grandchild by his first wife. His second wife is Princess Alma, your grandmother. Their older child is a daughter, Sancha. They have a son, Juan. Princess Sancha is not eligible to inherit the throne for some reason. You are Princess Sancha's oldest child. You went to Eton, then joined the Almurian Air Force and fought in Iraq. Afterwards, you went to the London School of Economics. Now you're here. I didn't mean to snoop. I just didn't want to say something stupid."

"Good start. Cyril I and his people came from the Olympiades in the Adriatic Sea. Most of their islands were destroyed by earthquakes. They were Orthodox, but after the schism, they allied with the Pope of Rome, although they kept their Almurian Orthodox faith.

"The French occupied Almurias during the Napoleonic Wars, and set up the Code Napoleon, which did not allow women to inherit the throne. This was the opposite of the old Spanish custom which allowed female inheritance after male. After the Napoleonic wars, Almurias allowed women to inherit except for the Prince. There is a strong popular movement to allow all titles to be inherited in birth order, including the Prince's. It will likely become law within a year or two."

He finished his tea. "I'm getting a refill. Can I get you something?"

"I'm good," she said.

He returned with tea and cookies. He offered the cookies to Metty. She took one.

"These are good. Have you time to tell me more? Like why English is one of the languages."

"When England joined the Reformation and broke with Rome, many, many persecuted Catholics came to Almurias. After the Spanish Armada, more came. Irish came in droves during the Famine. Many English speakers settled on the Dalmurias Islands. English is their common language. Your turn. Are you majoring in Journalism? What do you want to do?"

She shook her head. "My major is special education. I've learned sign language and want to teach people with disabilities."

"That is a worthy career," he said. "You will touch for the better many lives—those you teach, their families, the people they meet."

She smiled, hanging her head with a touch of embarrassment. "You make it sound important and vital."

"It is to the people you will teach."

He's very tactful. And kind. "After graduation I want to go to grad school in Boston," Metty said.

"Boston? That's a change from Charleston."

"I hope so." Her eyes widened with excitement. "I want to get out of Charleston for a while. Boston has some interesting programs for special needs students."

Alexei drank tea and watched her shining eyes as her face glowed with excitement. Her coloring is lovely, and she has a kind face. "Will your boyfriend mind?"

"No boyfriend now. I broke up with Albert when he moved to Atlanta last July and I wouldn't go. He didn't want a long-distance relationship."

"Maybe he wasn't the right one."

"Does your girlfriend mind you being so far away?"

"No girlfriend. I was interested in a lady but nothing came of it. I have moved on."

Jessica. That girl doesn't appreciate how lucky she was. "Are you going to finish school here?"

He shook his head. "Next fall I'll return to the London School of Economics."

They continued talking of school and places they'd been. Alexei glossed over his months in the Almurian Air Force and the plane crash that killed several of his fellow cadets. He spoke longingly of his home in Almurias.

Metty checked the time. "It's after two. I've got to go."

Alexei started and jumped up. "My class was at two. I've got to run. It's been good getting to know you better." He grabbed his backpack and started to pick up his trash.

"I'll get that," Metty said. "You go."

"Thanks," he said, and ran out.

Nights Like Thisजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें