𝐈 ; into the 𝒎𝒂𝒛𝒆 she goes

𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐳𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐞𝐬

When you're asleep in this world, you're awake in another. It was one of the many reasons she loved it.

Being awake, her life had a tendency to be a waking nightmare. It would start as any other day, but somehow, things would untangle in so many directions that it would end up horrifyingly confusing and would ultimately fall apart.

She would never wake up if that was the case, having such a better time while in the fantasies created in her head.

After some time, though, the line between reality and dreams had blurred. She had trouble distinguishing the difference between the two until it even became like a reverse nightmare. Like when you wake up from a nightmare with a sense of relief, only to wake up into another nightmare. Her escape was compromised by that blurred line.

It just had to be nightmares. Why couldn't it be dreams? If she had any say, it would be so she could control her dreams instead of navigating through the terrors of nightmares.

Those who had every desire they wanted in life appear in their dreamland were thinking much too small, as ironic as that seemed.

She found it ridiculous that people dreamed of moments with the one they found themselves infatuated by, falling into the endless territory of fantasy and hope. That's exactly what it is was most of the time, fantasy. Or maybe she was just miserably lonely to the point she never had a crush to that extent... or at all...

That was beside the point. It disinterested her because there were much bigger things she wanted in life, right?

Well, she was sure she wanted something big. That unsettled feeling in her gut told her that there was indeed something, but what it was...well, that may come later then. Even her own mind kept secrets and lied to her. How frustrating.

The headphones strung in her ears were blasting so loud they could be heard by those passing by, something her grandparents always warned her about, "Play that funky music, white boy. Play that funky music right." Well, being deaf didn't seem that bad anyway if it meant she could listen to her music this loud now.

Her nightmare was a little stranger than usual, but she was surely awake. Her feet forcefully carried her down a treacherous path where no man returns, full of obstacles and challenges to overcome. She'd leap over fallen trees and push through the rough terrain, dodging the nature in her path that tried to stop her. She'd be the greatest adventurer—

A tug on her arm drew the girl right back into reality, a sharp gasp leaving her mouth as she stumbled back. The headphones fell from her ears, dangling from her phone in her pocket. Her eyes barely caught the car zoom right in front of her line of vision before the grip on her forearm was let go.

Her attention shifted over to who had pulled her back from walking right into the road instead of turning the corner, her still spooked emerald eyes met fiery vermillion glaring at her.