𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈 ; go ahead, 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓

𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝, 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝, 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

Children see and hear what most think they can't. Maybe they don't quite understand what they saw, but that doesn't eliminate the fact they did see it. Whether it's parents fighting downstairs when the child should be asleep, spelling out words they can't spell, or even just watching mannerisms and language.

A determined child was one thing, wanting to know what it all meant.

A curious one was an even bigger of a story.

The house was always loud and full of life. With a few kids, there was always something going on inside.

Asumi sat on the floor in front of the tv where some cartoon was playing in the background. Though, she paid no attention to it, rather staring at the mini race car toys she stole from her brother's room. Her mouth mimicked what she thought was revving and tires squealing as they performed her tricks over the coffee table.

The fumes of the kitchen where her mother was cooking something had filled the home. It was quite a familiar smell that made the young Asumi, who only knew so many words at the time, scrunch up her nose.

Her favorite race car toy, the back and yellow one, was on veered off course as she sauntered toward the kitchen. Stretching her arms above her head, she rolled the car along the kitchen island, stopping when she saw the familiar red jar on the countertop. Asumi knew exactly what was inside of it.

Leaving her racecar forgotten on the counter, she made her way over to her mother.

The older woman swayed her head to get the fallen black hair out of her face as she mixed the food on top of the stove, all the while talking into the phone held between her ear and shoulder.

"No, I'm sorry, but you can't just leave on another business trip again. What am I supposed to do with the kids?"

Asumi tugged on her pants, letting out a huff when she didn't receive so much as a glance.

"Money isn't the end of the world. We're doing fine—No."

"Mommy." She tried again, tugging a little harder.

"Hold on." The woman sighed before looking down at her daughter, "What is it, Asumi?"

Happy the attention was now on her, her lips curled into her usual smile as she extended an arm out behind her, "Want please."

Much to her dismay, even after using the magic word she had been taught, Asumi received a shaking head, "No, I'm making lunch. No cookies right now."

The smile was replaced with a frown as she voiced her displeasure with a loud whine. It had gone ignored as her mother raised the phone again and continued arguing with whoever was on the other line.