17

TW: detailed panic attack

"I can't believe you don't know how to cook!" Thalia shook her head with a slight laugh as she continued to chop an onion on the cutting board. 

When I got back from the diner with Harry I had to go up to my room quickly and stay in there for a while. It's Monday so that means I couldn't come out of my room until someone came and got me. I had completely forgotten that Niall and Harry told me about that until Harry mentioned it when we pulled up.

Only day later and I had already forgot about the one rule they gave me.

We left the house a little after 8:30 and when we pulled back up to the house from the diner it was 9:47. We weren't gone too long, but we were definitely pushing it on time since I need to be in my room from ten to twelve.

Harry had me lean the seat all the way back when we drove up to the house, which I didn't ask any questions about. Of course I wanted to ask why, but I think that not knowing would be my best option on this one.

When we walked in Thalia instantly started lecturing him about "how close he was cutting it" and that they "cant afford to let him fuck this up".

I listened for as long as I could, but they walked into the living room as I headed up the stairs, so by the time I reached the top I couldn't hear anything else.

I still have no idea what's happening during the time that I have to stay in my room, or why, but honestly I don't think I want to. If it's bad enough I have to stay hidden in my room I think I'd rather not know.

"I think that everyone should know how to cook." Thalia shrugged while she continued to cut the onion. "Niall pisses me off because he refuses to learn. He's had plenty of opportunities, he just doesn't listen to me. All of us know how except for him— And, well, you." She looked at me trying to fight off a smile.

I laughed as well and watched as her attention go back to chopping the onion, the knife glistening in the light with each move she made. "I never got the chance to learn. My parents didn't cook and when I moved in with my aunt she always ordered takeout since her and my uncle were always working. So, by the time I moved to New York I had no idea how to cook for myself."

Thalia turned to watch me as I spoke. She had put the knife down and stood with both of her hands on the cutting board. Her eyes watched me intently to show that she was genuinely listening to everything that I was saying.

It was kind of intimidating.

"It wasn't until I moved in with Chloe that I actually had a home cooked meal more than once a week." I pursed my lips, looking down to the ground at the mention of Chloe.

"Why did you move in with your aunt?" Thalia asked.

"My parents sucked at being parents to say the least." I let out a bitter laugh as I leaned my back against the counter. "My dad left when I was a teenager and a year later my mom left me with my aunt. For a while I expected my mom to come back, but she never did."

Instantly after the words left my lips the realization hit me. I snapped my head away from Thalia realizing what I said to her. I didn't mean to open up like that... It took me over a year to tell Chloe what happened to me when I was younger, yet here I am slipping up and spilling about my parents abandoning me.

"Uh..." I wiped my hand down my face. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say all of that."

"It's okay." Thalia assured me. "You don't have to worry about telling me things. I won't tell anyone."

I nodded to her mumbling, "Thanks."

Thalia gave me a smile before finishing up with chopping the onions. I looked down to my chipping nails, picking the majority of the polish that was left from my right thumb nail.