81

Aurora Walker

With the windows down the parts of my hair that weren't tied back blew wild in the wind as Harry tore down the freeway.

It probably only took us about ten minutes to get to his fathers house from the hotel earlier, but looking down to the time on the dash as we exited off onto a side road I realized that he had cut that time in half.

Everyone has been keeping an eye out, but we haven't seen anyone following us so far. Thalia made a comment that it might not be safe for us to stay at the hotel since whoever was shooting at us obviously knew who we all were but Niall was quick to jump in and say he didn't think that anyone would think to look here. He said whoever it was is either dead, or assumes that we wouldn't be dumb enough to stay at the hotel that was only a few miles away. Though, I'm sure that he was only saying that because he didn't want to sit the entire way home with Louis on his lap.

Either way, I'm glad that we were staying here tonight. I was seriously wound up and the idea of staying in the car for another hour or so had me ready to jump out of the car window.

I was feeling a rush like never before. My body was tingling from head to toe. I know that I was the one that caused the explosion since everyone else was out of bullets, so that means that if whoever was in that car died or was hurt in some way then I would be responsible for it. Yet, I can't find it within myself to feel pity over it.

I know that I should. I know that I should feel remorse. But the only thing that I can feel is... good.

I feel like in some way I helped to protect everyone. Like I helped to save them— regardless if we actually needed saving or not. I'm not really sure if pride is the right word to describe what I'm feeling but that's the only thing that I can associate it with.

Everyone in the house tells me that I am a part of the family, so I guess my view on the situation is, I did what any of them would have done. I protected my family.

It might sound cheesy or like some cliche, but I genuinely felt high on life in this moment. Knowing that we all not only made it out of the event without getting hurt, but also somehow managed to escape without injury from the shooter was enough to send me over the moon in relief.

The entire drive to the hotel my mind was reeling over the night. From the second we walked out of Harry's house until right now there was not one second that went by with boredom. From weaving through California traffic at ungodly speeds, to meeting Chris, then being held at gunpoint and being shot at, the night was definitely eventful to say the least.

Side note, but I have also decided that Chris is really creepy. Like extremely.

The way that he was watching Harry and I makes my skin crawl the more I think about it. The way that his eyes watched every small touch that Harry gave me and the way that he tried to pry, like asking how I got the scar on my eyebrow just seemed so strange to me. I know that he's Harry's dad and everything, but it just felt off.

I know what Chris is capable of and I know what he has done to Harry, so seeing him act so tame and actually physically talking to him was sending my mind into overdrive.

Harry pulled into the hotel parking, his tires skidding as he barreled around the turn of the driveway. The wind coming in through my window slowed as Harry began to decelerate with a fast approaching building.

He didn't even park in a spot. Instead he pulled straight up to the front and turned off the car, each of us hurrying out of the extremely shot up car and scrambling up towards the main hotel doors.

Everyone walked towards the front as I waited for Harry behind them. He strolled up to me casually and grabbed my hand to walk with me towards the entrance. As the group started to walk in a front office worker came out to greet us.