79

"Why don't you go ahead and come sit down with us?" Chris nodded his head over to a few seats that were behind him near the railing.

The crowd that was once on the upstairs balcony had dispersed leaving only a few lingering people left up here with us. Being surrounded by other people had made me feel much more safe. Now that it's only me up here with Chris, Todd and a few people near the stairs my chest is starting to feel heavy with anxiety.

"I'm okay." I declined with a short smile.

"That wasn't a suggestion." Todd spoke for the first time since we got here.

His voice sent an instant chill down my spine and the regret of telling Harry to leave fully set in. I knew that he needed to go, but it didn't make it any easier to be standing here alone with his father and Todd.

"Relax, Todd." Chris waved a hand dismissively. "We can stand if that's what she would like."

I glanced at Todd, my brows lowered as he glared at me through squinted eyes. I probably shouldn't antagonize him, but I can't help the look of distaste on my face while seeing him.

"How'd you get the scar?" I looked back over to see Chris motioning up to my eyebrow. "Looks new."

"I got it a few weeks ago in a skating accident." I replied shortly.

"A skating accident?" He raised his brows at me as he crossed his arms over his chest with an amused look on his face. "Don't be shy, go ahead and tell me the story."

I feel disgusted being in his presence.

Knowing everything that I know about him and yet still standing here and having a conversation with him is causing me to feel sick. Knowing the things that he is responsible for and knowing what he is capable of is enough to make me want to empty the contents of my dinner out onto the floor.

I didn't think it was possible for me to feel this amount of hatred for another person.

"I went roller skating with Millie." I began explaining, still trying to be short– But not rude. "I had never been before and it turns out that she wasn't very good either, so we both fell and I hit my head on her skate."

"Is that why she is wearing that brace on her wrist?"  He questioned me further.

"Yes." I confirmed with a nod.

"Mm..." He hummed aloud as his eyes fell back down to my dress again. "You know, Rori— I'm sorry. I can call you, Rori, right?"

I nodded, even though I didn't want to grant him any sort of permission to do so. "Yes, you can."

"Okay then, Rori," He smiled. "You're just... Well, I have to be honest with you and admit that you're not at all what I was expecting."

I felt the pit in my stomach grow deeper as his eyes flicked up to meet mine again. An insidious look crossed his face as he tilted his head at me.

I'd like to say that he wasn't what I was expecting either, but in truth he's exactly how I had imagined him. Tall, built and tattoos everywhere. He's daunting and his gaze alone is enough to make me want to turn and cower away from him.

Chris shook his head slightly with the same look etched across his face. "When Todd first described you I guess I must have let my imagination get away from me. I just– Well, I mean, to have my son and the others protect you the way that they did, I guess I just expected... more."

My brows raised from his obvious attempt at making me feel poorly about myself. I can't believe he's belittling me.

"More?" My voice came out weak, pitiful almost.