28

TW: mentions of overdose & brief mentions of suicide

I rolled the back of my head against the headrest, my eyes becoming heavy after the food I just ate. I always get sleepy after I eat, I've been like that since I was a kid.

We stopped at a drive-thru and got something to eat so that we could just hang out at the hotel and not have to worry about getting food until tomorrow, which I'm fine with. We had stopped at Josie's for tacos for lunch, then stopped about five minutes ago to get something to hold us over.

Honestly I really wasn't even hungry yet but I ate something because I knew that I would be hungry within the next few hours and I didn't want to be miserable until we ate tomorrow.

I shifted my eyes up towards a large building as I felt the car starting to slow down. It was annoying that Harry didn't set a GPS for the trip because throughout the entire drive I had no idea how much longer it'd be until we got to the hotel. But he's done this drive before and he already told me that he can remember how to get places after only being there once so I guess it makes sense that he wouldn't set the GPS.

I wonder how that all works for him. I wonder if he sees flashes of signs in his head or if he reads a sign and remembers taking that exit.

I'd ask him, but we're currently listening to an audiobook. Neither of us have spoken since getting food and neither of us had spoken before that after he put the book on, besides him occasionally asking if I wanted a cigarette when he'd pull one out for himself.

He asked me what kinds of books are my favorite so I told him that I like thrillers and mysteries. Apparently he has audiobooks on his phone so instead of listening to music, we started a book called The Life We Bury. It's honestly really good so far and I think that even Harry is pretty into it.

There'll be a slight plot twist and I can see him furrowing his brows as he tries to think over all the possibilities in his head. Is Carl the killer, or was he wrongfully accused? And if he really was wrongfully sentenced, then who was the real killer? And why?

It was kind of amusing to watch him think about the book as we drove. The subtle changes in his face as he listened were pretty much my only form of entertainment besides listening to the audio.

I looked over as Harry turned down the volume of the book. We had just started chapter 21 and I was pretty invested at the point. Joe, the main character, and his love interest, Lila, had just started to investigate photos from the crime scene from 30 years prior.

"We're here." Harry said, his finger reaching out to pause the book.

"Can we listen to the book on the trip back?" I asked, my mind whirling around all of the new possibilities that had just opened up. I probably should have said something about getting to the hotel but all I could think about right now was the book.

I tend to get pretty caught up when it's a good book.

He nodded, "Yeah, we can."

We parked in the lot on the side, then got out of the car and Harry headed for the trunk where I'm assuming he had put our bags.

"Your laptop is in the backseat." He said as he opened the trunk.

I walked a few steps forward and tugged the door open. I reached in and grabbed the laptop, holding it in the same arm that I held Harrys flannel in. I shut the door at the same time I heard the trunk closing.

That was fast.

Harry walked around to where I was, carrying both suitcases. "Let's go."

I nodded even though he had already turned away from me, so I just started following behind him towards the front of the hotel. I craned my neck back and looked at the giant building in front of us. It was already getting late, it was about eight thirty so majority of the lights were coming from the city by now.