69

Harrys hand stayed in mine as he led us up the stairway. The music was still playing from the first floor as we made it to the third, though it was muffled now.

Instead of going to the right towards his room he turned to the left and started leading me down the other hall. Neither of us said anything. I just followed as he took me wherever it was that he wanted to go.

When we reached the end of the hall Harry opened the last door on the right, dropped my hand and motioned for me to go ahead and go through it. Giving him a questioning look I went ahead and crossed through the doorway, the outside air hitting my skin as soon as I stepped through.

I started walking up the stairs and once I reached the top, I realized we were on the roof. The music from the party was connected to the speakers up here as well, so as I walked out onto the roof Somebody Told Me by The Killers played into the night air.

The roof was fully furnished with an awning set up above it so that when it rained the furniture wouldn't get ruined. There was a railing going around the edge and a fireplace set in the middle of the furniture.

Scanning my eyes over everything I slowly walked to the edge of the roof and put my hands down on the railing as I took in the sight before me.

Only a few other houses were scattered around near us, but none were close enough to actually obstruct the beautiful scenery of the city laid before us just down the hill.

As Harry came up beside me he pulled me in closer to his side, his arm snaking around my waist. I rolled my head to the side and laid there with my head on his chest for a moment just enjoying the view.

The music played on behind us, but I couldn't even be bothered to listen to what song was playing now. All I could do was sit there with a dumb smile on my lips as Harry stood with me and looked out to the city.

Though after a few minutes something did happen to catch my attention.

The opening notes of We Are not Alone by Karla deVito start playing and I couldn't help but smile even wider. I rolled my head back in a laugh, Harry laughing too while smiling down at me from my right side.

"If we dare expose our hearts to just the purest parts, that's when strange sensations start to grow." The music played through the speakers as my eyes shifted back down to the city below us.

Once again I was overwhelmed with a feeling of genuine happiness. I would have never believed a month ago that I would be standing here, right now, in California with Harry. I never could have dreamed that I'd be standing here with his arm around my waist as he helped me celebrate the last few hours of my birthday.

But now the idea of doing anything else seemed so wrong to me.

"Je pense que—"

I looked up hearing Harry speak, his words muffled with his eyes down on me. His eyes sparkled in the dangling lights on the awning, his face soft as he watched me.

"What'd you say?" I gave him a smile, my attention now being on him and away from my thoughts.

Harry smiled down at me as he reached up and fumbled a piece of my hair through his fingers, "You're so beautiful." His words came out softly. When I felt his fingers brush against my cheek, I leaned into his touch, my eyes closing with a smile at the simple contact. I felt Harry lean forward, his lips brushing over my forehead as he placed a soft kiss there, "I don't want to ruin this, but do you mind if we move away from the edge?"

For a moment I completely forgot that he doesn't like heights.

"Oh—" I snapped my eyes open in realization. "Yes, of course."