34

Aurora Walker

It's crazy how much can change in just a month. 

For example, a month ago I was working at the hardware store and at the club while sharing an apartment with Chloe in New York.

Now a month later, Frank, who owned the hardware store, is dead. Well, brutally murdered actually. I was roofied at the club after my last shift there. And now I'm currently living across the country in Oregon of all places.

A month ago I didn't know Harry. I didn't know Niall. I didn't know anyone in this family.

A month ago I wasn't in hiding because of someone wanting me dead.

But now, here I am. Sitting in this giant house with all of these people that I now recognize as people who will go through great lengths to protect me.

All of it still seems crazy to me. My mind can't fully wrap around everything but I do know that it's going to get easier. Now that I'm able to talk to Chloe life won't seem as impossible to me.

So, swallowing down the last of my nerves I finally hit send to start my conversation with her as I finished getting ready for the party tonight.

me:
hey
9:37pm

chloe:
omg rori??
how are you?
are u doing ok?
i haven't heard from you in a while...
i miss you
a lot.
9:40pm

Her replies came through after a few minutes and it took everything in me to hold back my tears as I read them.

me:
i'm ok, i promise.
i'm sorry for going mia but i've been away from my phone. it's helped clear my head a bit.
but i really miss you too
9:43pm

chloe:
no need to apologize (:
i just hope you can come home soon
9:45pm 

I felt my breath hitch in my lungs as I read the last sentence. My heart felt like it was shattering in my chest. How am I suppose to tell her I'm never coming home?

me:
i hope so too
9:42pm

I wish I could.

me:
anyway, what's been going on there?
anything fantastic i've missed?
talking to anyone new lately?
9:44pm

One thing about Chloe is that she definitely likes talking to new people. She's only been serious with one person since I've known her, but she still enjoys the build up and the talking stage.

chloe:
ok...
don't get mad but i have been talking to someone for a few weeks...
BUT it's not serious. it's just talking. yknow?
9:46pm

I read her text in confusion as I stood and started to head towards my bedroom to change my clothes. Why would she think I'd be upset about her talking to someone?

me:
why would i be upset about that???
9:50pm

chloe:
because of who it is
9:52pm