38.

December 12,2019

Namjoon stood up and stretched, trying to move his stiff muscles. He really needed to replace that couch, the crappy thing wasn't meant for someone his size.

His eyes immediately fell on the woman in the bed. Ari was still sleeping, for the third day and he was seriously worried, even though the doctors had assured him that there was no serious damage to her body.

His mind took him back to the moment he saw her, there in the hall, barely on her feet, the slight smile when she saw him, then the smile disappeared and she...

He shuddered, trying to push away the memory, the terror that gripped his heart as her bloodied body began to collapse and he had almost dropped her.

For a few killing moments, he had decided that he had lost her, that the love of his life was gone. He remembered the relief when he felt her beating heart, then the anger that still hadn't left him.

"How is she?" Namjoon turned around and smiled wryly. "Same" he replied, running his fingers through his hair. "Namjoon..." Seokjin came closer with his head down. Namjoon knew he felt guilty and for a while, he blamed him too.

"There's a visitor" Jin said quietly and Namjoon looked at him in surprise. "Mae... she wants to see her and..." Namjoon cut him off, putting his hands on his shoulders. "I'm sure Ari will be happy" he said softly and Seokjin nodded uncomfortably.

"Hyung, it's not your fault, nor Mae's" Namjoon assured him, but Seokjin shook his head. "If I hadn't let her go alone, if I was with them..." Namjoon shook him slightly. "Then we'd be looking for both of you most likely" Namjoon replied and looked back at Ari.

"Bring your girlfriend, maybe Ari will react to her?" Namjoon suggested, changing the subject. "She's not mine..." Seokjin looked at him with wide eyes and Namjoon smiled. "Sure, now bring her" he pushed Jin towards the door and when he was alone he sat on the edge of the bed.

"Come on, baby, how much longer are you going to deprive me of your sweet smile?" he sighed and placed a hand on her thigh, pressing it gently. "Do you miss it?" he jerked his head up and his eyes met hers. "Ari!" without thinking Namjoon threw himself on top of her and hugged her tight, wrapping his arms around her shoulders.

"I can't..." she wailed and Namjoon immediately pulled away. "Are you hurt somewhere, where, I'm sorry, where, should I call a doctor, do you want anything, Mae is here, maybe water, are you hungry..." Namjoon spoke so fast that Ari could only blink at him, shaking head.

"Maybe water, but otherwise I'm fine, tired and sleepy..." she smiled and Namjoon jumped to his feet. "Right away, whatever you want! I'll tell Mae and Seokjin that you're awake....God, you're awake!" he breathlessly whispered and sat down again, hugging her.

"You scared me so much, baby I thought I lost you" Namjoon suddenly whispered shakily and she sat up hugging him. "You're not going to get rid of me that easily" Ari sighed and buried her face in his neck.

"Who..." Namjoon started but Ari cut him off. "You said Mae is here? I want to see her, she must be dying of worry..." she smiled and Namjoon bit his lip, nodding, he would talk to her later.

"I'll come again tomorrow if you don't mind?" Mae smiled and Ari shook her head, smiling back. Namjoon was leaning against the door watching her, she looked tired but there was something else, something in the way she sat, the way she spoke.

The two had talked for almost an hour, Ari making sure to reassure Seokjin and Mae that it wasn't their fault, that if not now, it would happen sooner or later.

And he couldn't wait for them to be alone, so he could finally figure out exactly whose grave he was going to dig.

Mae stood up, giving Ari one last hug. "I'll see you tomorrow and you get some rest" she smiled and Ari looked at Seokjin. "Go with her and make sure she's safe" her voice sounded too commanding and Seokjin raised an eyebrow at Namjoon who scowled but nodded his compliance.

"Honey..." Namjoon started once the two were alone, but Ari cut him off again. "Please, not now." her voice trembled and he hurried over, climbing onto the bed and she curled up against his chest.

"I need to know, honey." he whispered and wrapped his arms around her body, locking her in his secure embrace. "I know you're mad, but I need time..." she rested her chin on his chest and looked up at him.

"Besides, I want to see Izeul" he smiled slightly. "She's dying to see you too" Ari nodded and lay back on his chest. "How long did I sleep?" Ari asked, rubbing her cheek against his. "Three days, you would wake up for a bit asking about me and Izeul, but then immediately fall back asleep" he gently stroked her hair, untangling the tangled strands.

"Does it hurt anything?" Namjoon asked softly and she shook her head. "Do you want to eat? I'm hungry too, and then I can bring Izeul and the boys?" he suggested as she settled into his chest thoughtfully.

"Or should we just go downstairs?" she nodded. "In a little while, let's just..." he squeezed her a little more, careful not to hurt her. "I missed you, Ari, I'm sorry I didn't get to find you, I didn't..." his voice trailed off and she looked at him.

"Namjoon..." he trailed off and closed his eyes, sighing in resignation. "Not now, I know, it's just..." she reached up and kissed him gently but long.

"If it wasn't for your training, I would never have survived. And the thought of you and Izeul helped me even more." he bit his lip and looked at her guiltily. "Still, there was still something I could..." she shook her head.

"No, there's no point in blaming yourself. It was all planned. If it wasn't at the mall, it would be somewhere else, at another time" she sighed and lay back on his chest.

"You know who they are, right?" Namjoon asked and she nodded slightly. "Will you tell me?" he asked again and she shook her head. "Honey, they hav'to pay!" Namjoon demanded and she looked at him. "They will pay, but when the time is right and as I decide" Ari replied and Namjoon gritted his teeth.

Her eyes were burning, Namjoon had never seen this look, Ari was kind, sweet, gentle, loving, and now...pure hatred was pouring from her otherwise soft hazel eyes.

His heart was beating furiously and the same anger froze his eyes. What had they done to her? How had they managed to arouse this hatred? Who had made his sweet Ari feel such a desire for revenge?

How had they succeeded? Namjoon had been a jerk to her in the beginning, he had even tried to kill her once, and yet, she had never looked at him with such hatred.

For the first time, Ari felt this, this thirst, this desire to hurt, to taste their blood. Park Lisa had unlocked a deadly enemy, turned her into a monster, and she was going to pay for it.

Namjoon cupped her face and leaned down, almost touching her lips. "When you command, Queen, Bangtan will follow you!" he growled and kissed her, trying to erase the memory of what happened from her mind for a little while.

Arie sighed into his lips, letting the feeling of life that Namjoon was awakening in her flow through her body. She was a queen, his queen, and if Lisa thought she could have him, she was sorely mistaken.