56

"The very best of evenings to you! First off, please join me in welcoming the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn." Dumbledore said. We started applauding.

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master. Meanwhile the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be assumed by Professor Snape." He continued. Pansy, Blaise, Theo and I applauded, but nobody else did. Except for a few stupid first-years.

"Now, as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival tonight. You have a right to know why. Once there was a young man who, like you, sat in this very Hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept beneath its roof. He seemed, to all the world, a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle." Dumbledore said. "Today, of course, the world knows him by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I am reminded of a sobering fact. Each day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle. But in the end, their greatest weapon remains... you."

I looked to my side, seeing Draco a few seats away. He looks at his plate sadly. He doesn't look up or anything. He just stared at his plate with a sad expression on his face.

"Just something to keep in mind. Now, off to bed!" Dumbledore said.

Pansy and I shot each other a confused look. "Cheerful." Pansy said. I giggled.

We walked to my room.

"Will you sleep in here please?" I asked.

"Huh, why?" She replied.

"I feel so lonely. I miss sharing a room with you. Please, move into my room." I begged.

"Of course." She said.

Soon we were taking all her stuff from her old dorm to mine. Other students were giving us confused looks.

One of them was Draco. He walked past us, since his room is literally almost next to mine. He shot me a confused look. I looked back at him with no expression on my face.

When we finished moving all the stuff, we laid down on my bed.

"How's it with Draco now? You two talked, right?" Pansy asked.

"Yeah. He kept saying there's nothing wrong, that he was just busy. Then he got mad, then I got mad, then he regretted getting mad, then I said he either had to tell me what was going on or I wouldn't talk to him until I actually wanted to." I explained.

"So he told you what's wrong, right?" She asked.

"No. He didn't." I said.

Pansy gasped. "He didn't?"

"No. And now we're not talking until he either tells me what's going on, or when I really want to talk." I said.

"Girl power." Pansy said.

I looked at her. Then we bursted out laughing.

[a/n] how much do we love having pansy back in our room? A LOT.