59

"Harry m'boy! I was beginning to worry! And I see we've brought someone with us..." Slughorn said.

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace actually, so I probably should just be going."

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Right then, books out."

"Um, sorry, sir, but I haven't got
my book yet, nor's Ron. You see-"

"Not to worry. You can get what you need from the cupboard."

As Harry and Ron step the cupboard, Slughorn resumes, gesturing to the cauldrons bubbling before him.

"Now, as I was saying, I've prepared a few concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" Slughorn said. My arm shot up in the air. "Yes, Miss...?"

"Snape. That one there is Veritaserum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. And that is Amortentia! The most powerful love potion in the world." I said. "It's rumored to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them."

"What do you smell, Miss Snape?" He asked.

I smelled the potion. "I smell... Mint, green apples and cologne." I heard Pansy giggle. I blush. I felt Draco's eyes burning in the side of my head. I chose not to look back.

"Now Amortentia doesn't create actual love, of course. That's impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. For that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Slughorn explained.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one."

"Ah yes... What you see before you, ladies
and gentlemen, is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as Liquid luck." He explained.

Draco's head shot up. The others from our class started whispering.

"Desperately tricky to make. Disastrous should you get it wrong. But brewed correctly, as this has been, it has remarkable powers. One sip and you will find that all your endeavors succeed... at least until the effects wear off." He said.

"But then why don't people drink it all the time?"

"Because taken in excess it causes giddiness, recklessness and dangerous overconfidence."

"Have you ever taken it, sir?"

"Twice. Once when I was twenty-four. Once when I was fifty-seven. Two tablespoons taken at breakfast. Two perfect days..." He said and dreamed off. But then he snapped back to reality.

"So. This is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck... to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death, the recipe for which can be found on page ten of your textbook. You should know that in all the years of my previous tenure at Hogwarts, not once did a student brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. In any event, good luck."

Everyone started on the potion.

In the end, the person who one was the last one I expected. It was Harry.

[a/n] sup we smelled draco