Chapter 29

A few days had passed since the sparring session and the Chunin exam was just two days away now.

Right now, in the Hokage office, a meeting was going on.

"So, as I stated on multiple occasions, I do not think I am suitable for being a Hokage for long," Tsunade stated as Jiraiya and Hiruzen sighed.

"I know, and s we said multiple times, we don't have any better options," Hiruzen rebuked.

"Not for now, but soon, we will," she said with a smirk as Hiruzen frowned.

"Tsunade, I know Gaara became a Kazekage at a very young age, but I do not think we should put such a big responsibility on Naruto at such a young age. Let him live his youth, make a few babies and then become the Hokage," Jiraiya told her as Tsunade deadpanned.

"I was not talking about him you damn perv," she deadpanned as Jiraiya sweatdropped.

"Then, who else?" 

"..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shinobi council had assembled, as Naruto and Shikamaru engaged in small talk, and Shikaku and Choza discussed their next destination for a barbeque.

"Ahem, so the Shinobi council, I have assembled you all for a very important talk about the future of the position of Hokage, namely who'll inherit it," Tsunade said as others noticed Jiraiya and Sarutobi's presence.

"What's it Baa chan? Your old age catching up to you?" asked Naruto with a smirk as Jiraiya and Sarutobi paled at his boldness. As for Tsunade, a tick mark was visible, and killer intent to scare everyone in the room was emanating from her.

"Calm down baa chan, I am just joking. Can't I do that with my baa chan?" asked Naruto, giving her puppy eyes which worked and Tsunade sighed with an annoyed expression.

"But jokes aside, I knew you wouldn't stay for too long. I mean, you love your job as a medic-nin, so I guess you'll start training other medic nins, right?" he asked and Tsunade nodded with a smile.

"So... I know I am not a candidate, not for now at least. But if it's who I think it is, you have my vote," he said as Shikamaru nodded.

"He deserves it, after everything he has done," Shikamaru said and Shikaku looked at him, for the first time feeling clueless.

"Who are you both talking about? Kakashi?"

"No, while I agree he'll be a great Hokage, he previously stated to me that he doesn't want to work as a Hokage. The one I have in mind is... Itachi Uchiha."

"I'm game," said Shikaku, and Choza and Inoichi agreed. 

"... That is indeed a great option..." Hiashi muttered as the Inuzuka head agreed.

"So... the thing is how to ask him?" 

"I can do that," Jiraiya said as Naruto smiled.

"I'll inform Sasuke of this," Naruto said as Tsunade smiled.

"Alright, this brings us to the next part. We are sending three Genin teams to Suna for the entrance exam, and a new rookie Genin under Naruto's tutelage. The signs show that things will go smoothly, but you never know with Akatsuki. We need to take appropriate measures," the current fifth Hokage stated.

"I suggest We send Kakashi with Naruto, just in case," Choza suggested.

"No, that would mean that the village will be left without most of the powerful Shinobi. We only have Guy in the village as Kurenai has been gone for a mission with Hinata, Kiba, and Karin while Neji, Rock Lee, and Shino are out to raid three Orochimaru bases with Genma, Hayate, and Anko along with another bunch of Anbu," shikaku stated as others sighed.