sixty-one

sixty-one, cruel punishment

sadness. disbelief. betrayal.

that's what elsie felt at this moment as she read the article over and over again, clicking on picture after picture of austin with her.

why did he agree to go? why didn't he tell her? why didn't he tell her that he met up with her?

so many questions ran through her mind as she scrolled through the endless amount of paparazzi pictures of the two.

Why did he break his promise to her for someone he hardly even knew?

it all didn't make sense to elsie. none of it did.

was the past repeating itself? was this her karma for humiliating luke the way he had humiliated her?

was this the world's way of teaching elsie a lesson? because if it was, it was a cruel lesson to learn.

"don't overthink it, ellie." dove told her as she looked at her from across the couch they were currently sitting on.

"i can't help but to overthink it, dove. i mean, he promised that he would be there last night and where was he? he was fucking getting coffee with her!" elsie exclaimed as she felt her nerves and anger getting the best of her.

"maybe it was just that, elsie."

"how can you be so sure?" elsie asked.

"i'm not but you won't get the answers that you need unless you talk to him." dove told her causing elsie to roll her eyes.

"if i see him i'll say something extremely hurtful, dove. i'm not thinking rationally right now. i don't trust myself right now." elsie informed her with a shake of her head.

"you can't let your anger overcome you, elsie. you need to give yourself a peace of mind." dove tried to reason with her friend.

"it'll either give me a peace of mind or give me an intense amount of heartbreak that i'm not ready for, dove." elsie looked away as she felt her eyes begin to sting.

"i can't go through this again." elsie muttered as her eyes filled with tears.

"i know, baby." dove whispered as she scooted towards elsie and wrapped her arms around her.

"it hurts." elsie sighed as she finally let her tears fall.

"i know baby, i know." dove whispered as she rubbed elsie's back.

before either of them could say another word, a knock emitted from the door causing both of their heads to glance up at the door.

"elsie, i know you're in there. please open the door." austin spoke causing elsie to glance over at dove.

"did you tell him i was here?" elsie asked in disbelief.

"no, of course not." dove told her sincerely.

"great." elsie huffed as she wrapped the blanket tighter around her body before she got up from the couch and towards the door.

she took a deep breath in before opening the door to reveal austin.

"i'll give you guys some space. i'm gonna go grab us some muffins and coffee. text me if you need anything." dove told elsie with a smile before she left the two alone.

"why haven't you answered any of my calls or texts?" austin asked as he shut the door behind him.

"my phone died." elsie shrugged nonchalantly before a ping came from her phone that was on the couch.