Chapter Twenty

Y/Ns P.O.V

The school festival was up and running, meaning I was walking around beside Aizawa. It was sad to not blend in with all the fun the students were having but instead of enjoying it myself I got to appreciate how happy it made others. At the smiles of others I decided to search for 1-A, hoping they'd be just as happy. Something they deserve for all they've been through. “They're busy setting the gym up.”

I looked over to Aizawa and nodded before looking around again, I caught sight of Mirio who was with “ERI!” I quickly turned to Aizawa but before I could even ask he nodded, I ran over to Eri and picked her up “Eri! How are you sweetheart?”

“I'm okay! Are you going to be watching Deku perform?” I gave a sad smile and shook my head “I can't princess. One, I'm on patrol, and two, the performance would really hurt my ears, but I'm sure it's going to be great!” She nodded quickly and I smiled, brushing the hair that fell into her face away.

“Are you excited?” She nodded before looking at me “Can I go on patrol with you? I want to spend time with you Y/n!” I smiled.

“And I'd love to spend time with you, but my patrol is going to be a bit boring. So, why don't you stay with Lemillion? You'll be able to fully experience everything then and enjoy it completely!” She pouted slightly “But...” I held her tighter “Awe, Eri! I'd not love anything more than to be able to spend the day with you but I'm training to be a teacher which sadly has some less than enjoyable rules. But, do you want to know something? If I am considered fit to teach, I can help with training your quirk! We'll then have all the time in the world together!”

She nodded slowly and I hugged her “Right, this hug should get you through the day!” I crouched and placed her down “Now, I want you to do a little job for me! Okay?” She nodded and I moved closer to her ear to whisper “I want you to have fun and bring me that beautiful smile Sir Nighteye told me about, at the end of the day!” She looked at me a little scared as I moved away, I smiled “I know you can do it Eri, you're a strong girl after all!”

I mockingly flexed my muscles and she copied me, I pointed to her with both hands “There's the Eri I know, now go have fun! You better look after my favourite little girl Mirio or I will hunt you down!” I pointed to both my eyes before pointing at him with a serious look. I then looked to Eri and smiled before waving as I went back over to Aizawa.

“You really are something.” I looked at him confused and he pointed to Eri “A girl that's been through what she has would usually never let someone touch them, yet you can hold her as she sleeps and pick her up as an initial interaction.” I smiled and turned to watch Mirio walk away with Eri “I'd hope I'm good with children that have lost their family through death or departure... I am a child of it myself and have lived with multiple people of varying ages that are in the same situation... At the end of the day, they don't hope for family, because many still feel about their losses... they hope for happiness and stability, something they feel only a family will provide... so we become one big family at the orphanage because then we have someone.”

He nodded before letting out a breath “I don't think the hero committee would allow for Eri to go into the care system, they're considering her dangerous... They've asked me to train her.” I looked at him and raised an eyebrow, he let out a breath. “I haven't provided them with an answer yet.”

“Why not? No one else is going to be able to! She needs you!” He sighed and turned to me “I can't teach 1-A, train you to be a teacher, patrol at night and train Eri.” I nodded and looked down at my feet “Then... you no longer need to teach me... don't worry about informing Principal Nezu, I'll prove I'm incapable.” He quickly wrapped his capture weapon around me “Don't be stupid, I know you're selfless but that is a step too far! This is your future and it is just as important as hers-”

“No, Aizawa, you don't understand! Eri has a chance at getting a family but for that she needs you to train her! I have no chance now, missing out on being a teacher won't be anything new to me!” His expression softened “Y/n... Just because you missed a few things in life does not mean you're set up to miss out on everything... You're strong and I know you'd be able to keep yourself together but that is all just a facade... You just revealed to me that you haven't had a chance at family, you wouldn't have mentioned it if you didn't care. Please, for once, put yourself first! I don't want you getting to fourty and regretting today, because your choice does not just affect you... 1-A absolutely adore you, how do you think they'd feel if you gave up on this?”

I looked at him and he continued “Hell, what about every student at U.A? You've helped so many people! Can you even begin to imagine how they'd feel if one of kindest people in this school wasn't able to achieve something as rewarding as being a teacher, a job that defines helping people!” He brought me into his arms as tears began to escape my eyes.

“I'm meant to be the one teaching you but yet you've managed to teach me that happiness is more important than anything in the world, and I've seen how happy teaching makes you. So I'm not going to let you give it up... In fact, I'm going to let you step up because I'm going to accept the offer with you as my teaching assistant... You can prove yourself then... Go enjoy yourself.” He released me from the capture weapon and his hug.

He then shooed me off with his hands “Go, you haven't got all year.” I wiped my eyes and jumped on him in a hug “Thank you so much sensei! I couldn't have been given a better person to train me in teaching!” He patted my back “Okay, enough with the compliments, go enjoy yourself while you're still free and young!”

I laughed and stepped away “You're not that old Aizawa!” He closed his eyes with a very small smile on his face as he shooed me away with his hands. I turned and began walking away “Remember to enjoy yourself as well Aizawa-”

“You can call me Shota... We're going to be colleagues, eventually.” I turned quickly and gave a closed eyed smile “Okay Shota! Remember to take your designated breaks at-”

“Yes, I know, now shoo!” I opened my eyes to see him smiling and nodded before waving and turning.

[ Edited : 02/01/2023 ]

[ Re-Edited : 20/08/2023 ]