Chapter Twenty-Six

SHOTAs P.O.V

When the police came to talk to me of that night's events I asked them to investigate into the whereabouts of Y/n's sister, but to do it in secret for it seemed to be illegal activity within the family. After that I just remained in the waiting room, no one telling me anything. Someone tapped my shoulder and I turned to see a young woman “You're scaring my son!” I raised an eyebrow and glanced over to the boy that was hugging his mother's arm “You've got blood all over your face.” I let out a breath before getting up to go and find a bathroom, eventually finding it and looking in the mirror that stood above the sink. The woman was right, blood was coating my face, particularly around my eyes. I knew it wasn't my blood, the most I'd recieve from tonight is a few bruises, but worst of all, nightmares. I washed my face and looked back at my reflection.

First, my friend dies whilst I was there. Second, villains attack my class and they have to step in and protect themselves because I couldn't. Third, I have a student kidnapped, again being there. Lastly, I think a student would be safe to go on patrol with me, even though whenever I face a villain, there's a casualty. Do I even face them? Do I even try? Of course not, I just stood around as she thought, for what reason, because I couldn't see? If I'm not the most pathetic hero ever, I don't know who is. If I can even consider myself a hero. I glared towards the mirror before I raked my hands through my hair to grab hold of it and pull in frustration “She is hanging on for her life, you have not got it worst so pull yourself together.”

I ran my hands under the tap, the water activating and spilling onto my hands, having to scrub for the blood had dried and stuck to my skin, the clear liquid turning red as it continued it's path to the sink drain. Once the water was flowing off my hands and remaining clear I cupped my hands and lowered my head, splashing the water onto my face before rubbing, eventually being able to look up at the mirror and see the skin of my face.

I decided, once completely free of L/n's blood, to make my way back to the waiting room, finding a seat and sitting in it with my arms crossed. I watched everyone who walked by, and when a doctor came this way I could only hope they had information on L/n, but each time proved hopeless.

I snapped my eyes open at someone tapping my shoulder, I looked to see someone very similar to L/n “Eraserhead, right?” I nodded and she forced a smile “I'm Kira, Y/n's sister... Seen as your waiting here I suppose you want to know how she is?” I hummed with a grunt as I moved to be correctly sat in the chair “Yes... If I had done more she wouldn't have had to come here.” She shook her head “No, please don't say that... I might not be Y/n's favourite person but I know for a fact she wouldn't want anyone blaming themselves for her state... That's probably down to how me and Ayaka treated her but still, it's not something she'd want...” She took in a breath “She's out of surgery, but the sword was right through her liver... She lost a lot of blood when it came to just removing it and stitching her up which caused circulatory issues... Due to that and the damage to her liver, it failed... Which caused a few complications but they got it all under control and she's now in intensive care... For now, family and emergency contacts are only able to visit, even though you're probably closer to her than any family member...” I nodded.

“Have they said whether or not she'll be okay?” She nodded and gave a very faint smile “They said it was a close call but her chances are high now and once she's awake, she'll be on the mend.” I nodded “That's good, thank you for telling me.” She nodded and then turned to leave. I leaned my head back, rubbing my face before letting my hands drop into my lap. I just considered that life was repaying L/n for the mistreatment it bestowed upon her, but even still, life took away Oboro, and he had not done anything to deserve such a fate. Not much can equate to such a fate, for the years of a teenager is hardly much, especially when to that point majority of that time is spent in school, something that doesn't provide much of a choice when it comes to freedom.

“Ma'am you need to be in bed.” I groggily woke up at the commotion that was happening around me. I looked around and jumped out of my seat, going towards the patient that was supposed to be in bed “L/n!” From scanning the waiting room she quickly turned her head to look at me, she then began limping this way as she held her side, I went over to stabilise her but once in her reach she engulfed me in a hug. I was shocked. Why would she wish to hug me? If I had been more cautious she wouldn't be in this state. “I am so sorry Shota, so sorry!” As soon as I felt her hands clutch at my top I hugged her back “You have nothing to be sorry about.” She shook her head and sniffled “If I had just spoken to you, if I had just told you! I put you in danger by dragging you along with my plan-” I let out a breath and shook my head “I am glad you dragged me along... For if you hadn't you would have been patrolling by yourself.” She hummed before she took a step back and bowed from her hip, I was stunned “Thank you!”

I looked around the waiting room, everyone was onlooking the activity between us, I looked back to L/n and asked “Why?” She stood straight and smiled “Well good sir, if you hadn't of been there I would of been dead! I had to take your quirk upon the roof because I didn't already have it, without you-” I put my hand up and closed my eyes “Do not finish that. I don't want to ever think that you could've died.” I opened my eyes to see her smiling as tears rolled down her cheeks “I don't ever want to imagine such a fate for you either, Shota.” I let my hand drop to my side “Well, you should... If I had just asked you what was wrong, instead of stepping around you to figure it out, we wouldn't be stood here right now.” She rolled her eyes before smiling “Can you not do anything without feeling guilty? Sho, if you had asked, I would have caught onto your curiosity and gone off by myself... I didn't inform the police Sho... I didn't want harm to come to anyone else because I don't know what that woman is capable of... I only went with you because I knew that if I did find her, I didn't know how many people were with her, but no matter the number you would have helped me fight... Unlike me, you don't need batons and swords, you just need yourself... I knew if I couldn't get Ayaka to safety, you could... If I had to put my life in anyone's hands, I'd entrust yours.”

“L/n... You are strong all on your own.” She smiled and shook her head “No, I rely on others for any strength I have, it's literally my quirk.” I gave a small smile and replied “But you return more than double... Everyone believes being a hero is all about saving lives, and whilst it is, only a real hero can save a soul. You, Y/n, are a real hero... Someone doesn't need to be in danger to require aid, for there is so much more than just physical health! God, one tear and you're at the persons side!” She laughed lightly before grinning with closed eyes “Thank you Shota!”

[ Edited : 02/01/2023 ]

[ Re-Edited : 30/04/2024 ]