Episode Twenty-Nine

Johnny was thankful his van got him to Daniel's, though his face was red before he even pulled in. How could he face Amanda and Daniel today? He couldn't stop thinking about yesterday and what they might think of him. Why did my body react like that? I should be glad that my wang works, I guess.

"Hey, Johnny!" Daniel called as he strode down the walk with a perky spring in his step.

Johnny's face grew warm at Daniel's voice. Daniel didn't look hesitant at all, at least. So, yesterday's incident hadn't grossed him out? Johnny had repeatedly checked his phone, ran the van to charge it when needed, because he'd fully expected Daniel to change his mind about Johnny helping him move.

"Your van doesn't sound too healthy. Heard it inside the house. You should bring it by the dealership."

Johnny stepped out of his van. He should take the help. Without a working vehicle, he couldn't be a sensei or find any other work for that matter. "I'll bring it in this week. Thanks. Just don't give me one of your stupid trees."

Daniel's brows shot up in surprise as he came around the side of the van. "Glad to hear you'll take my help. We can't afford to lose you now."

Johnny's heart fluttered and he turned away. "So, uh, where are the boxes? You got stuff packed, or, you need help with..." His words faltered when he thought of packing Daniel's belongings, or even unpacking them, specifically those sunflower yellow boxers.

Johnny froze and he turned his back to Daniel. He leaned against the van, thinking of anything that wasn't those boxers. The image was enough for a repeat of last night. No, not now. Not again. What did this concussion do to my body?

"Johnny? Are you all right?" Daniel's hand covered his right shoulder.

Daniel causes this! It's him. Or maybe...can a concussion make you gay?

Am I...?

Johnny shrugged him off and faced the van. He thought of Kreese, thought of comas, of hospital bills, of Matt Foley. He pressed his brow to the warm metal. The Mart Foley image had worked.

"Hey, hey!" Daniel said, sounding a little panicky. "What's going on? I...I won't touch you."

Johnny held onto the Matt Foley image, using it to drive out the memory of Daniel atop him. "The boxes. Let's get the boxes."

"Okay. Sam wanted to help but I told her to go have a day with her friends. I think she and Miguel are off somewhere. Amanda and the kid are staying at her mom's for a few days. So, the house will actually be empty for a while."

Great, just me and you, Johnny thought. Perfect. It remained awkward, so the two kept their physical distance as best they could. Any conversation centered on the task at hand and upcoming training sessions. Daniel had rented a small u-haul to carry his stuff, which Johnny was grateful for. Between being a hair's breadth away from breaking down and being full of Johnny's own belongings, he had really hoped Daniel wouldn't suggest they use his van to haul stuff.

They didn't say a word to each other on the ride over. Johnny changed the station to 98.4 so they could jam out to some 80s music, but Daniel seemed preoccupied and didn't join in on the head banging or drumming.

When Daniel pulled into Miyagi-Do, a squad car was waiting in the lot, an officer leaning against it and looking at her phone screen.

Oh great, what now? Johnny wondered.

"Mr. LaRusso, you're the owner of Miyagi-Do, correct?" The officer placed her phone in her pocket and strode toward them.

"Yeah, is there a problem?" Daniel's face turned ashen and he jogged to the gate. "Was there vandalism? What happened?" But the opened gate revealed the orderly courtyard.