Episode Fifty-Five

Johnny woke to Daniel running his fingers through his hair. For a moment, he lavished in the feeling before his eyes clicked open. Daniel's touch was so gentle, so welcome. It was a balm to his constant worries. His eyes slid up to find Daniel watching him. How long had he been awake? He was sure Daniel had nodded off before he did. His hand was still locked in Daniel's grip so he reached up and touched his cheek.

"I could watch you sleep all night, but I'm afraid I have to use the facilities," Daniel said.

Johnny was on his feet in a flash, hurrying to the other side of the bed. "Let me help you up."

"I'm fine, I just didn't want to disturb you." Daniel sat up and tried to throw his feet over the side of the bed, but he winced in pain. Johnny was there, gently moving his legs and lifting his hips, guiding him, taking his weight.

"Don't be so hard headed. You helped me."

Daniel barked a laugh. "And you gave me shit every step of the way! Seriously, I got this."

"The hell you do!" Johnny gave up and just lifted Daniel into his arms. There was a brief moment where Daniel struggled before he gave in and let Johnny carry him. It was awkward in the small room, but he made it out the door and into the bathroom without bumping Daniel's head on the doorframes.

"Okay, okay, I've got it now!" Daniel thumped his shoulder until Johnny put him on his feet. "I can get my cock out by myself, thank you."

The mention of his cock had Johnny's own member stirring but he ignored it. Daniel was too fragile for any of that right now. He could always beat off later if he needed to. "Just yell if you need me," Johnny said. He didn't close the door all the way, just in case. I should make him a sandwich or something. He thought about what Sophie had said and snorted. Kid isn't wrong. If he wants gourmet meals, we'll have to order them. They had both slept away the afternoon and it was close to six o'clock.

He was just grabbing bread and tomatoes when there was a knock on the door. Grumbling to himself, Johnny walked over, threw the door open, and stared dumbly at a stranger.

"Evening. I've got your delivery." The man held up two bags and offered them to Johnny.

"We didn't order anything." Johnny blinked at the guy. Surely, he would have heard if Daniel was on the phone earlier?

"This is the right address. The lady was very specific."

"What lady?"

"Uh, it was paid for by a Regina George?"

Johnny managed a grin and snatched the bags. "Thanks." Then he closed the door in the guy's face. He tossed the bags on the table, put up what food he had gotten out, then dug around to see what she had ordered. There were soup bowls and bread with salads. Ugh, salad? Really, Regina? Maybe the soup wouldn't be so bad.

"Hey, you fall in in there?" he called to Daniel.

"I'm fine, fuck you very much," Daniel replied.

Johnny felt his lips tug up in a smile. He loved how comfortable it was now between them. Their banter no longer held malice but a playfulness that left him feeling warm and mushy. He might have rejected that before, but now he could truly appreciate it. "Regina ordered us some soup and salad shit. Want to eat in the bedroom or sit on the couch?"

"Couch, I'm tired of beds," Daniel called. "And make sure you thank her for me."

"Thank her for us, you mean," Johnny mumbled. He shot Regina a quick text then began setting up their food on trays. Maybe they could relax and watch a movie for a few hours before going back to bed. His cheeks flushed at the thought of sleeping next to Daniel again. Falling asleep holding his hand had seemed cheesy but Johnny hadn't slept so well in a long time. He felt completely relaxed and safe beside Daniel, even if the safety was only an illusion.

Kreese. He would have to do something about that monster. He had an idea, but he wasn't going to tell Daniel about it. Not yet. For now, he had to concentrate on getting his best friend better.

Johnny heard the toilet flush and the water running in the sink, so he grabbed Daniel one of his bottled waters from the fridge. He almost grabbed himself a beer but changed his mind. He hadn't completely quit drinking, but he had cut back a lot since moving in here. As much as Johnny hated to admit it, Daniel had been right about that. Since cutting back, he had more stamina with training and his head was clearer. He wasn't losing his temper with the students as easily. And with his new sit-up regimen, any talk of a beer gut would soon be moot.

Grabbing another water instead, he stepped back to the couch as Daniel shuffled out of the bathroom. Johnny froze and watched him, alert for any signs that help was needed.

Daniel gave him a withering glare that clearly stated he didn't want help. He made it to the couch and settled down slowly. He winced as he leaned forward.

"Okay, I'll admit, I will probably need help getting up from here."

"Just ask, you moron," Johnny handed him his tray and water, hovering in case he needed anything else. "Watch a movie?"

"Sure. Streaming?"

"Actually, a couple of the girls brought movies over last week before any of this crap went down." He shuffled through DVD cases left beside the TV. "Regina wanted us to watch Not Nice Chicks and Sophie brought The New Karate Girl."

"I somehow doubt we would enjoy any movie Regina suggests with 'chicks' in the title, so let's go with the karate one," Daniel said.

Johnny set it up and settled down beside Daniel, grabbing his tray, ready to hang out.