Alpine

[7 Months Ago...]

“New suit?”

Steve doesn’t know how long he’d been staring out into space-or the sunny blue sky, to be more specific. But for once, he was happy to be lost in his thoughts.

He smiles at the familiar voice before turning to face her. She’s leaning against her motorcycle and he thinks he must really have been a million miles away to have not heard her pull up in the pretty green field.

“Hey, Buck. How you doing?”

“I’m doing good, Stevie. Well, as good as I can be.” Bucky musters up her best fake smile (because she already knows why he called her here) and walks slowly over to him.

“I love the new arm.” Steve can’t help smiling when she smirks and flexes it for him to see. “You don’t bother to cover it up anymore.” His humorous smile turns warm and it makes her feel just as warm (and loved) as it always has. “That’s good.”

“I only cover it when I wanna blend in.” Bucky shrugs aimlessly and then quickly changes the topic back to her first. “You’re not seriously wearing that when you finally get back to her, are you?” She scoffs out a little laugh to hide the pain in her voice. She thinks for a moment that he will see it anyway in her eyes, like he always used to, but her too-long years spent as the Winter Soldier have made her the King of Poker Faces and he looks more surprised than anything else.

“How did you know?” He asks after a moment of silence.

“Supersoldier intuition.”

Steve blinks, almost believes it.

Bless him – Bucky thinks, smirks, and says, “I overheard you talking to Fury at Stark’s funeral.”

Steve shoots her a look that only makes her smirk grow into a grin and rolls his eyes for good measure.

“I’m guessing that’s what you called me for.” Bucky shrugs. “To say goodbye and all.” She takes a deep breath and nods, finally looking up at him again and now standing right in front of him. “I’m ready. It’s alright.” She adds the last part just to reassure him, knowing he’ll still fret anyway and that thought selfishly makes her smile a little.

Steve, to Bucky’s confusion, now that she’s actually paying attention, looks upset – disappointed, maybe?

“What’s wrong?” Bucky feels a pang in her chest at his rather boyish expression and also, comfortingly feels the familiar protectiveness over him.

“I was...” Steve frowns. “I was gonna ask you to come with me... to come home with me. Finally.” He shoots her a pointed look on that last word and she gets it, goddamn, does she really get it, after all the things they’ve been through, both together and apart... but

“I can’t.” Bucky shakes her head. “I’m not done here. I have to make things right, if that’s at all possible.” She shoots him a playful scowl to try to lighten his mood when he only gives her a solemn, but understanding nod. “Is the Great and Honourable Captain America really advocating desertion of the atonement of the ex Winter Soldier to the ex Winter Soldier herself?” She tuts, shakes her head.

As hoped, Steve cracks a smile at that. He takes a deep breath, as if finally realising she’s made up her mind, and says, “Of course not.”

“Which brings me swiftly to the next topic – because I already know you probably got some wholesome speech prepared to make us both feel better about it – you giving Sam the shield. It’s the right call. Even if, one day, I am ready, I’m not you. And I’m OK with that.”