Messing

[7 Years Ago...]

By the time Steve and Nat get to Syria, the chitauri weapons have already been moved by their (rightly) paranoid thievers. It's only been half a day, but Steve has already checked in on Bucky and Sam (really just Bucky) exactly seventeen times. And Bucky loves Steve with all her heart, but she is beginning to get a little sick of him mother henning her, like she's about to break - or snap - at any moment (because she did just fine without him for those two years she was on the run alone.) Sam, on the other hand, is clearly amused. Although, he secretly thinks they're both kind of adorable, thinks they remind him a little of he and Sarah.

Bucky is sat in their boring Turkish apartment - glad to be bored, something she hasn't been for so very long, something silly she took for granted. She's on the couch, television on low while she watches Sam talk on the phone to Steve. Because this is now the eighteenth time he's calling, and Bucky refused to answer this time, made a laughing Sam answer instead. He's sat beside her, and Bucky pretends to watch the screen while listening in on both sides.

"So, no luck?"

"Not exactly. We're headed to Budapest. Clint's meeting us there. He knows someone who can get us up close."

Bucky hides a smirk when Sam snorts and says, "Bet Nat's happy about that."

Steve chuckles. "Clint certainly is."

Sam can't help also chuckling. He has no idea what went down in Budapest with Nat and Clint, has always asked along with most of the other curious Avengers, and always recieved either a smirk or a glare, followed by deadly silence.

"How's Buck doing?"

Sam glances over at her, smirks when Bucky turns to him with a withering look. He chuckles again, knows she's been listening. "She's good. I took her out dancing at some night club, last night after you left. It was fun. I almost managed to get her drunk. And she didn't even kill anyone... Although, she may have broken some guy's nose when he tried to grab her ass. You ask me, he deserved it. But I managed to calm her down, and she's good now." Sam's grinning at her when she's pursing her lips to keep from doing the same.

It's even better when they both hear Steve practically choke and sputter quietly on his end of the line, both having to hold their breaths to keep from laughing.

"I... You... She... I... Sam... Please tell me you're just messing with me..." Steve's voice is quiet, firm, yet still somehow quivering.

Sam can't hold in the loud snort that blows out of him as he scowls down the phone. "Obviously, I'm messing with you. I mean, I'm not opposed to taking a night off, but you don't think we both have a little more self-control than that?"

Steve sighs tiredly. "I know. I'm sorry. I'm wiped... And I worry... It's Bucky, y'know?"

Sam feels like a dick now and thinks Bucky probably feels worse, because when he glances to her, he sees her frowning softly. "Yeah, I know, man. Just get some sleep. Stop calling, unless something bad happens. We'll do the same here."

"Thanks for understanding, Sam. Bye, for now."

"For now." Sam nods to himself, lets the Captain hang up first before following suit. He shoves the phone into his pocket and then huffs over at the other supersoldier. "Well, that was fucking dreadful."

Bucky can't help puff out a small laugh at his choice of words, but nods in agreement. "Yep. The little punk's always been no fun."

Sam grins as he watches her flick her long locks out of her face, watches her scowl in annoyance as she huffs and leans back into the couch. "He's not so little anymore."

Bucky smirks. "He'll always be a little punk to me."

"You remember your life before?" Sam's careful in what and how he asks, doesn't want to upset or anger her, just wants to know her, wants to see if she still knows herself.

"I remember everything now. When I first got out, it took me a few months to figure things out... What I was. Who I was. What I had done. Who I had hurt. Who hurt me... How long for..." Bucky sees he looks slightly confused, but is grateful that he doesn't question it. "Steve's the one thing I remembered the most, so I started my homework with him. Didn't take me long to find out who I was before... Everything."

She doesn't know why he's so easy to talk to, doesn't question it, because she's been alone for too long and this feels good. And he both looks and sounds like he really wants to know.

Bucky tells him a little more, because he's sitting there, looking as patient as he is silent. But she is careful of exactly what she tells him. "It's weird how you remember all the good stuff first. Not the big life changing stuff. But the small stuff. Small stuff you didn't think you would ever remember. The smell of my ma's cheap perfume... The taste of Steve's ma's plum pie... The annoyed look on Steve's face whenever I'd save his ass from getting beaten..."

Sam feels his face soften as he watches her smile just as softly to herself while she looks off into the small space of the dingy living room, like she's seeing the "small stuff" playing out right in front of her. He stays quiet, hopes she will keep talking (to him - he's stupid, he knows, and he doesn't care) and tries not to grin like a fool when she does just that.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but Steve has a small green fleck in his left eye."

Sam chuckles when she turns her head to look at him. He nods, "I've noticed."

"You two really are best friends." Inside her mind, Bucky scolds the assassin in her for grumbling out those words before even thinking, even hesitating. Although she manages to hang back from blushing or looking embarrassed, and quickly averts her scowl back to the television.

Sam chuckles, chuckles even more when she shoots him a brief glare. "Are you jealous?" He knows he probably shouldn't, but he can't help himself. Especially when she doesn't answer, only glares at the screen instead. Sam grins. "Oh, my God. You are jealous. Of who? Of me? Oh, well, that is just adorable, Barnes."

Bucky turns her glare back to him, arches a brow. "You done?" She snarks, but there's no real bite to it. Mainly because she feels pathetic...

"Honestly? I'm flattered." Sam chuckles again, but he's being sincere, wants her to know it as he adds, "How the hell can you of all people be jealous of me?" He shoots her a withering look when she merely shrugs.

"You know him better than I do now."

Sam shoots her another withering look. "I think you know that's not true. I've literally known the guy for a few years."

Bucky's respect and appreciation for this man suddenly builds as she remembers just that - remembers that this man that barely knows her or Steve is risking his own life for them.

"He trusts you more than he trusts me."

She knows it's a pathetic attempt, and Sam seems to think so, too, because now he's scowling at her.

"I think you know it's those words stuck in your head that he doesn't trust." Sam smiles when she scowls (also pathetically) at him.

"You're annoyingly relentless, you know that?"

Sam grins, nods, and chirps back with, "It's part of my charm."