Two Avengers

"Karli Morgenthau is too dangerous to be pulling this kinda shit."

Of course, Bucky is the first one to hear his (overly grating) voice, the first one to see his (really, really punchable) face. As she and Sam follow Zemo down the cobbled road, and Sam then notices the couple, too, they both step in front of Zemo and Zemo simply lets them. He doesn't have time for this idiot, either.

John stalks towards them, Lemar following right beside him. He looks pissed off, and for the moment, Bucky tries to contain how happy that makes her feel.

"Ah, shit! How'd you find us this time?" Bucky shouts over to them as they all approach one another.

Sam desperately tries not to smile, tries to keep his amusement on the inside over how petulant she both sounds and looks. Definitely on purpose, he knows. This could get weird, he thinks, better not let her wind him up too much. That last thought is a begrudging one, but he will (try to) stick to it, for both their sakes.

"Really? You think two Avengers can walk around Latvia and not get noticed?" Lemar looks less pissed off, more amused, though less amused than Sam.

Not an Avenger, Bucky purses her lips to keep the thought – fact – from rolling off of her tongue.

John speeds up the more pissed off he looks. "No more fucking around with us and keeping us in the dark!" He snaps, his eyes narrowing at the tiny smirk on her (stupidly pretty) lips. He waits until he's finally standing in front of her; of all three of them before adding, "You can start by telling us why the fuck you broke him out of prison!"

Zemo pretends to look offended by the rude American pointing his stupid finger at him. He also can't help smirking with absolute amusement when Jane says –

"Well, he did that himself." She adds with a small shrug, "Technically."

The rage is clear in John's eyes, all over the parts of his face showing under that (ridiculous, she thinks) cap. "Oh, you're really enjoying this, aren't you?"

Bucky pretends to think for a second before answering with a nod and a small smile. "A little bit, yeah."

Zemo snorts, and Sam has to bite down hard on his bottom lip to keep from laughing.

"You better have an unbelievably good reason for letting this asshole loose." John sneers in a low tone, standing right in front of her. He wants her to know he's not afraid of her, even if he knows it would probably take a lot for him to beat her in a fight. He doesn't have time for her stupid bullshit or petty jealousy.

In return, Bucky wants him to know that she doesn’t give a rat's ass if he's afraid of her or not. She's happy to beat the shit out of him for no reason at all. Other than being the douchebag he is, of course.

And for the simple reason: he does not deserve to hold Steve's shield!

Bucky does what she's good at, squares back up to him, stares calmly back up at him and waits (prays) for him to make the first move. Just so she finally has a reason to kick his ass.

"OK, alright, enough. Let's all just calm the fuck down and take a minute before it gets weird." Sam forces himself in between them, slowly pushes Bucky back and is thankful when she actually allows him to – and without any attitude (that's progress, right?)

"I know where Karli is." Zemo finally comes to their rescue, because he feels he at least owes them that for actually keeping him safe since he escaped.

John scoffs when Zemo tries to walk passed him. He darts in front of him and places a firm hand on his chest to stop him. "Well, where?"

"All we know is that it's a memorial, so we're gonna try to intercept her there now." Sam explains before Zemo can say anything else and land himself in more trouble.

"That means civilians; high risk of casualties." Lemar says, and Bucky notes the look of genuine concern on his face and thinks that maybe it is just Walker who she needs to keep an eye on here – along with Zemo, of course.

Walker, however, is more concerned with succeeding in his mission, and it's just another reason for her not to trust him or his judgment. Especially when he says, "Alright. We'll move in fast. Take her by surprise."

Bucky falls in line behind Sam, Zemo leading the way as Walker and Lemar follow right behind. For now, she just listens, mainly to Walker. But she's also smiling to herself as she listens to Sam.

"No." His voice is firm – and she tries not to let her inappropriate thoughts distract her at this inappropriate time. "I wanna talk to her alone. This might be the only chance we get."

Bucky glares at the back of his (stupid) head when Walker replies. "I'm not losing her again just because you wanna have a little heart-to-heart with her. She's way passed that now."

"Look, the closest person to her has just died – right now, she's vulnerable. So, now is the best time to try to reason with her."

Bucky almost smiles until Walker scoffs again and says, "No! Stop!"

John stands in front of them all and glares, mainly between Sam and Zemo. "Unless you've forgotten that she blew up an entire building with people still inside of it – we are passed reasoning with her, OK!?"

"No, not OK." Bucky has had enough.

John snorts at her, glares bitterly at her. "Oh, you can just –"

Halfway through curling her metal fingers, Sam steps in front of her. And she's not even annoyed when he glares back at Walker for her. Although, she is slightly amused when he says; "You're really gonna start shit with the original Cap's best friend? How's that gonna look for your own Cap image, huh?" – because he says it with no amusement at all.

Bucky's holding back yet another smirk, and isn't disappointed when Walker backs down with a huff.

(Jeez, if that's what she sounds like, Thor, strike her down in this moment, please!)

John manages to quickly calm himself - because he's right, but also - "Sam, you could get seriously hurt. Karli could kill you. Probably will."

Bucky doesn't, but wants to scoff (because she knows that really, he's just worried how it will make him look if Steve's righthand man was killed in action right beside his pathetic ass. She can see that he's trying to fool himself - something she knows all about too well), but she doesn't see quite the same struggle in his eyes as she feels in her bones, even to this day. She can see that it's not shame, or guilt, or pain. She can see that it's something else entirely - denial, maybe.

"And if we go in all guns blazing, more people will definitely die."

Bucky's smile is again interrupted when Walker turns to her and glares, but only slightly this time. "Are you really gonna let your partner walk in there all alone with no backup, and a supersoldier who's probably waiting to kill him?"

"Well, John, I didn't manage to kill him when I was the Winter Soldier. And I certainly gave it a good few tries. So, one: he's handled worse than both; and two; technically, he's not even my partner... Not legally anyway..."

Sam doesn't bother to hold back on the smirk, especially considering she doesn't make it easy for him when she's smiling so innocently up at the Captain.

"You love your technicalities, don't you?"

Bucky simply smirks up at him when he looms back over her and all but snarls out his words.

He's worse than Sam - she doesn't even have to do much to piss him off.

It's actually almost as enjoyable as pissing Samuel off, too.

Sam steps in again, and Bucky's starting to feel slightly touched at his little (though, useless, but sweet, nonetheless) protective stances he takes over her. He's surprised that Walker takes a calm step back and then, Sam tells him, "Look, I... Well, I used to counsel soldiers dealing with trauma. So, I know what I'm doing."

Bucky knows she gives Sam a hard time over his counseling job, but when he says it now, it really sinks in for her. She suddenly realises she wants to tell him everything. Not all at once. But maybe over time, she could finally tell someone; she could finally tell Sam.