Lost Wolf

[8 Years Ago.]

Of all the things (both horrid and not), Bucky finds the country of Wakanda the most amazing (and more importantly; peaceful) place she has ever been to. OK, she hasn't seen much of it yet, but already, she feels the pleasant buzz of this country's air and its people.

Her time spent as the Winter Soldier took her to many different places over the years. However, those places all come with the nasty memories she's trying so hard to forget. Or at least, ignore. For now...

The King is too kind - he lets Sam come with them, but Steve knows they won't be staying for too long. The Captain feels a little awkward about it all, but T'Challa assures them both that anyone their King welcomes, Wakanda will welcome, too, with open arms.

It took a week for the dust to settle over all the chaos. In that week, Steve and Sam regularly check in with the others - and according to Clint, Natalia - or "Natasha" as she now goes by, or simply "Nat" - has now "switched sides." Really, Bucky knows she feels caught in the middle, because Bucky feels that way, too. Only, she knows she's the frigging cause of all this chaos. She would do all of this for Steve, always go the extra miles he goes for her, but knowing that doesn't make Bucky feel any better about any of it.

So when the Captain is satisfied with his friends' wellbeings, he finally contacts T'Challa through the Kimoyo Beads the King left behind for them. They're given coordinates and within the hour, they are already approaching the African continent. Steve is talking with Nomble as they're flying into Wakanda, while Bucky is nervous as hell and again, she's surprised when it's Sam who is there to distract her by talking to her about anything and nothing at all.

Bucky has risen from her seat, but hasn't moved any further and Sam comes over when he notices how fidgety and restless she suddenly looks. She takes a deep breath to calm her nerves and doesn't seem to notice Sam until he's standing right in front of her. She glances up at him, sees him smiling softly and watches curiously as he pulls something out of his jacket and holds it out to her. It's a tiny bottle of whiskey, barely bigger than two of his fingers and Bucky simply glances in confusion between it and his (pretty) dark pools.

Sam chuckles. "Take it." He offers it out a little further and watches with slight amusement as she warily does as she's told, but continues to stare at him. "Steve said you love whiskey. And you've been looking nervous as hell these last couple of days." He shrugs, suddenly looks a little shy and Bucky almost smiles when she notices the tops of his cheeks tinge slightly pink. "Thought it might help take the edge off."

"Thank you." Bucky does smile then, a little, but she wants to show she's grateful - she might have been brainwashed for seven decades, but that doesn't mean she's forgotten her manners.

Sam watches her twist off the lid and gulp the tiny contents down with no problem. He smirks when she doesn't even flinch, and he doesn't know why he's impressed right now when he knows an actual normal sized bottle of that shit wouldn't even touch her. "Was I right, or has it just been a while?"

Bucky smirks very slightly back at him as she pockets the empty bottle. "It hasn't been that long... I visited a few bars while I was in Bucharest."

Sam arches a brow, looks surprised, but he's smiling as he says, "Did the supersoldier manage to get wasted?"

Bucky puffs out a faint chuckle, mainly because she is fucking exhausted, she just wants to sleep - without her nightmares keeping her company. "Not even a little. I mean, I didn't have too much money, and I didn't wanna steal and end up drawing any attention. But I will say that the Romanians love to party hard."