T-T

"From my understanding –"

Sam's just about finished with his first whiskey while Bucky's scoffing down her eighth double and Zemo has moved on to the sherry – his beloved Heike's favourite.

"Donya is like a pillar of their community, right?" Sam doesn't wait for any response, looks thoughtful as he goes on to say, "So, when I was a kid, my T-T passed away."

"I'm sorry, your what?" Bucky scrunches her face up and Sam (secretly) thinks is the cutest fucking thing.

"My T-T."

He simply repeats the word and it doesn't help Bucky feel less confused.

"Your T-T." She says it out loud for herself to hear and also to make sure she has actually heard him correctly.

"Yeah, my T-T."

Zemo leans back in his seat, rests his cold glass against his forehead as he listens to them and slowly loses the will to live.

Bucky shoots Sam a withering look when he only grins, and then huffs when he doesn't explain himself right away, and asks instead, "Who is your T-T?"

"Fine." Sam relents finally and places his empty glass on the coffee table. "My T-T. is my aunt. When I was a kid, my aunt passed away and literally the entire neighbourhood got together for a ceremony. It was like a frigging week long... Maybe they're doing the same thing for Donya."

"Worth a shot." Bucky nods.

She's impressed because he thought of it before her, and she's also annoyed at herself for not thinking of it at all. Though, maybe this once, she can forgive herself for being off her game (Ayo is always so intense, they all are.) All, but Shuri, at least. She's possibly the bubbliest person Bucky's ever met.

Zemo leans forward and plucks out a lemon one this time (Carl's favorite.) "Your T-T would be proud." He finally supplies with a little smirk as he tosses the wrapper and pops the tasty treat into his mouth. "Turkish Delight. Irresistible."

[Later That Afternoon.]

This time, both Bucky and Sam luck out on their short-lived travels around the very tight-lipped settlements. When Sam asks just what the hell Zemo is doing, Bucky's keen ears can just about make out his words and she doesn't know if he's being stupid or if he's just not filling them in on the plan yet. Especially when she hears him tell the little girl not to trust she and Sam.

She keeps it to herself for now. Wonders what game he's trying to play now. Honestly, this man is more exhausting than Sam on his most annoying days, she swears by it.

But (she supposes) he's getting the kids to talk to him, whatever his plan is, it seems to be working. She watches him carefully as he gives out his bundles of Turkish Delight, watches rather guiltily as the poor little ones scramble for anything they can get. And she's glad that Zemo at least seems to have a soft spot for children when she sees that he makes sure every last one of them gets at least two pieces.

"Cute kids."

Bucky glances at Sam and doesn't realise she was smiling at them, too, until she sees him doing the same.

[20 Minutes Later.]

The three of them split up shortly after.

Zemo requests they allow him to allow the children to take him somewhere and they both begrudgingly agree, though, not without the usual threats of pain and death and "blah, blah, blah..." He stopped listening about halfway through, he can't even recall that, he was so bored.