Supersoldier

“You think you can just wake up one day and decide to suddenly stop being who you are just to be someone you wanna be? It doesn’t work that way...”

Isaiah’s words (painfully – because she knows they’re right) rattle around Bucky’s mind and she can’t help feeling the same sting just thinking of them as she did when he actually said them to her.

“...Well, maybe for people like you, it does...”

“Sam...”

And Bucky knows he’s angry – knows he has every right to be – and she selfishly feels stung by that too – to think that he could think that she would do something to hurt him this way. She obviously didn’t do it for that reason, but that doesn’t stop him from shooting her a glare before he stalks off.

“Sam, wait!” She calls after him, jogs to catch up to his brisk pace.

Why didn’t you tell me? How did literally everyone fail to mention him?” Sam stops abruptly and turns to glare at her again when she fails to answer him. “I asked you a question, Bucky.”

“I know...” Bucky sighs deeply. “Nobody knew about him. Not even Steve.” She adds that last part when she sees that question in his eyes, predicts him wanting to ask it.

“Why? How?”

He doesn’t look like he believes her. At least, not until she says, “I never told him.” She stares down at the ground in defeat. “I didn’t know how to.”

Sam scoffs a little. “So, you’re seriously telling me that there has been a black supersoldier around for decades – around before Steve, and you – and nobody even ever knew about him?” Again, he finds that hard to believe, even when he knows he’s probably being a little naive.

Bucky opens her mouth to reply, but is suddenly intercepted by a police car that slowly pulls up to them. Oh, that’s just great – she thinks – as both police officers cautiously step out onto the road to join them.

“Evening.”

Bucky’s expression sours, but she keeps her mouth shut as Sam says, “Evening. What’s up?”

The taller officer glances between Bucky and Sam and Bucky’s vibranium fingers curl in anger, because she doesn’t like the way the other one is looking at Sam, and it makes her want to hurt him for it.

“Is there a problem here? Been getting complaints of a ruckus.”

Bucky almost scoffs at that. With the neighbourhood that they’re in right now, she knows that’s definitely a load of bullshit. It’s not the roughest place, but she knows people tend to stick to their own business, mainly out of fear.

“We’re just talking.” Sam keeps his cool, and Bucky really doesn’t know how he does that, but she adds, “We’re fine. But thanks.”

The taller officer ignores the slight attitude in her tone, and with a little of his own, says, “I’m gonna need to see some I.D... sir.”

“I don’t have it on me. And why do you need to see it anyway?” Sam stays calm, but Bucky snaps for him, “Are you fucking serious!?”

“Buck.”

Bucky’s angry glare snaps to Sam when he says her name, and the firm little shake of his head somehow manages to snap her just as quickly from getting too riled up.

“Miss, please calm down.”

Sam managed to calm her down for all of two seconds before Officer Idiot opens his stupid mouth again. Still, she counts that as progress all the same as she snaps again. “‘Miss'?” She scoffs out. And she’s not vain, not at all, she’s just surprised, as she asks, “Don’t you know who I am?”

“I... It looked like he was bothering you...” Officer Racist finally pipes up.

Bucky doesn’t even see the pissed look on Sam’s face, because she’s too busy shooting the officer a murderous glare. “Well, he wasn’t.”

Officer Racist glares back at her a little, and Bucky almost laughs (because wow, he must really not know who she is... or was – and ugh, she really shouldn’t, but in that moment, she wishes, just for a few seconds, that the Winter Soldier would just take her over completely and snap his useless little neck.)

“Well, like the man said; we were just talking.”

Officer Idiot glances over at Sam when she points to him.

Bucky chuckles, finally calming herself down and looking at the situation the way she should have from the very start: like a soldier, a supersoldier, and a tactful one at that. “Y’know –“ She smirks as she glances between the two officers. ”– it’s kind of pathetic that you don’t even know who this is.” She points to Sam again. “Isn’t that, like, a part of your job?”

Sam almost laughs when the taller officer glares at her. He especially wants to laugh, then, when the officer who had been glaring at him up until this moment, suddenly widens his eyes back at him and looks rather flustered. Oh, finally – Sam thinks – a little recognition.

“Hey, man, they’re both Avengers.”

Bucky scrunches her face up at Officer Racist, because no – she thinks – she’s definitely not an Avenger. However, it does make her smirk in delight a little when she sees that equally delightful fear in his eyes as he looks from Sam to her and says –

“That’s the Falcon and that’s...” He gulps, “That’s the Winter Soldier...”

The Ex Winter Soldier, Bucky thinks snootily.

“Oh, shit!! Mr. Wilson, I am so sorry!”

Bucky rolls her eyes, almost wants to vomit.

“It’s fine” Sam fights the urge to roll his eyes, too.

It’s not fine, Sam! – Bucky thinks; glares at his stupid (pretty) face, and glares even harder at him when he only ignores her gaze.

Officer Racist jogs back to the police car and comes back with handcuffs, and Bucky feels her metal fingers curling into another angry fist at her side. “Miss –“ He thinks better of it, even hands the cuffs over to the other officer, but manages to finish his sentence. “Sargeant Barnes... You... There’s a warrant out for your arrest.”

Bucky turns her glare on him and is satisfied when she sees him tremble a little.

Sam quickly steps in to defend her, and she can’t help feeling rather touched, because he’s finally getting a little angry, too. “What are you talking about? The President himself pardoned her.”

“No, not for that.”

He looks at Sam instead, and Bucky likes that he’s scared of her, but she doesn’t like how he talks about her as if she’s not even there.

“Sargeant Barnes missed her last court-mandated therapy. It’s like missing a check-in with your P.O.”

“Sorry, Sergeant Barnes...” Officer Idiot (Brown-Nose) actually looks a little sincere as he says, “But you’re under arrest.”

Bucky simply closes her eyes and sighs in defeat.