Something New

Bucky is so caught up in gazing up at Sam that she doesn't notice Karli moving. Bucky does, however, hear the quiet scrape of metal on concrete, does hear Karli snarl in anger. Bucky is turning then, and just in time to hold up her flesh hand and catch the iron bar being thrown her way. Bucky doesn't see the look of shock on Sam's face, doesn't hear him swoop down, because she can only look at Karli in disbelief, or rather, disappointment. She knows it's just the younger supersoldier's last and rather desperate attempt to stop them, but she also knows that both she and Karli know it's a real low blow. So much for not wanting to kill her and Sam, Bucky thinks as she just continues to stare at her. Bucky lowers her arm slowly, lets the thin bar slip from her fingers and clatter loudly to the ground.

John can only arch a brow at Bucky, clearly quite impressed.

Karli looks slightly shocked, too, is slightly shocked at herself even if she did really mean it. They've ruined everything, her mind snarls at her, reminds her. She's then snarling and charging at the older supersoldier, but before she even manages to get more than a foot closer, the shield - the real shield - smacks right into her chest and sends her flying a good distance (even she has to admit that Sam is more impressive than she thought, even if he's pissed her off beyond belief.)

Bucky watches as the shield bounces from Karli to the other four Flags, knocking them all off of their feet, one by one. She's more than impressed, considering the last time she watched Sam throw the shield (and had him nearly decapitate them both.) She smiles to herself at both the memory and the sight before her as Sam lands gracefully down, equally as elegant as he catches the shield and his wings fold in. And Bucky would glare at Karli, but finds that she still can't really keep her eyes from the man standing so valiantly in the middle of all of this chaos.

Sam stands in front of Bucky and John (really just Bucky) and waits for Karli to crawl back up onto her feet.

Karli just stands there for a moment, looks slightly distraught. "You of all people actually bought into all that bullshit?" Her voice wavers, as if she's trying not to cry.

"Trying something different. Maybe you should do the same." Sam says pointedly, gives her a clear look of disappointment. Before anyone can do much else, smoke grenades are being launched all around them and just as instantly the smoke follows and arises all around, and Sam swears that he loves this suit, because he's then pulling up the heat vision on the goggles, and smirking when he spots the group clearly through the thick smoke. "I got eyes on 'em. Let's go."

Bucky follows Sam, shooting John an odd look when he, too, follows obediently beside her and behind Sam, instead of in front, for once. She watches Sam strap the shield to his back as they run down into the barely lit tunnels, then speaks into her comms. "Hey, Sharon. We're underground. Entered the tunnel on William. Heading South." She frowns when she gets no reply, slightly worried, but leaves it for now, gives the woman a chance to check back.

Sam scans the ground, their footprints lighting up like a fricking Christmas tree, again, this suit is awesome. He finally slows when they near a three-way junction. "They split up." He turns to tell them, points one hand to the middle tunnel and the other hand to the right tunnel. "Here."

"On it." John says, all business, instead of anger, for once. He then darts off down the right tunnel before Sam can respond.

Sam goes to follow, but Bucky places her metal hand lightly on his shoulder. "I'll go." She smirks, adds, "I promise not to kill him." He smirks back at her, nods and she turns, but quickly turns back again. "Oh, and, um..." She leans forward, presses a quick kiss to his lips and smiles rather tragically (she thinks) as she says, "Don't die."

Sam almost loses focus, almost grabs her by the waist to press her back to him, but she's thankfully already jogging after John. He smiles to himself, at least manages (he thinks) to get out, "I'll try."

"No trying." Bucky sends a glare over her shoulder, that he again thanks the new goggles for being able to see perfectly in the dark down here. "Just don't."

Sam watches her run off into the darkness, but not out of sight with his goggles, at least, not until she rounds the bend of the tunnel. He shakes his head, quickly focuses, presses forward even when he's still smiling to himself.

×

Bucky easily catches up to John, and is happy to have silence as they help one another search everywhere and anywhere.

×

It doesn't take long for Sam to hear the whistling, for Sam to follow the noise, for Sam to then hear two guns firing, one after the other. It takes even less time then, because even Sam can easily follow the sound, finds Batroc with a shot to the head, possibly by Sharon. More importantly, he sees Sharon on the ground hand pressed hard over a bloody gut wound, gun loose in her other hand, sees Karli standing over her, gun still raised at the ready.

Karli glares at him briefly when she notices he's there, instantly snaps, "Stay back, Sam!"

Sam holds up his hands, but slowly edges towards her as he speaks calmly. "What's next, huh? You kill 10 this time? Then, what? A 100 next time? Where does it end, Karli?" He looks her right in the eyes, tries to look as sincere as he feels. "Please, let me help you."

"Don't try to manipulate me." Karli glares at him, but he can see the tears shinning in her tired eyes. She then glares back at the blonde, steps closers and slips her finger over the trigger.

"Karli," Sharon tries to sound more scared than she is pissed off, like she really fucking is. "Don't!"

Sam uses his thrusters, plows himself straight into Kalri, knocks the gun from her hands. He brings out the shield just in time for Karli's fist to come smashing down on it, and he's so thankful this supersoldier doesn't have any metal limbs, too. He shoves her away, and Karli snarls in frustration, grabs the nearest concrete block and throws it right at him. He lifts the shield, the metal obliterating the stone, and Karli launches forward, swipes at him with her right fist.

Sam glides back, hops over the railing and onto the metal staircase, lets her come to him, wants her to know he isn't going to take the bait this time. She follows, sends another punch his way, but Sam blocks with the shield, enjoys her grunt of pain, however brief. He lets her dent her own knuckles again and again as he just continues to block her efforts, finally shoves her away again and hops over the other railing.

"I'm not not gonna fight you!" Sam yells at her as she only continues to advance.

×

"I hope this works."

"You got a better idea? I'm all ears, John."

John scowls.

Bucky smirks. "Didn't think so." He rolls his eyes, and then she glares and says, "It'll work. Karli was dumb enough to leave her phone with me. So, I'm pretty sure her even dumber little followers will follow her every order."

John has to smirk at that. Sometimes he forgets that she was a soldier before even his parents were born. "Dumb and Dumber?" John chuckles. "You actually watched that movie?"

"What movie?" Bucky looks puzzled.

John chuckles again. "Never mind, old timer."

Bucky would reply with some witty comeback, only now she can hear Karli yelling for Sam to stay down. And Bucky would ask if he's "good" until she hears him determinedly grunt out a "no." And this time, Steve doesn't flash in her mind, but only Sam...

Maybe she really has let Steve go... It's an oddly unsettling, but somehow also relieving sensation.

John frowns when he sees her expression. "Problem, Barnes?"

Bucky is smiling on the inside as she calmly tells him, "No." She almost snorts when she looks at him, sees he looks almost concerned. Literally the nicest look he's ever given her.