Wizards

Bucky doesn't call Sam. Instead, she seeks him out a few days later and is even more annoyed after watching the new phoney Captain America give his almost vomit-inducing speech on the tube, for millions to see and hear.

Bucky is too pissed off to be wasting time by sneaking onto the airbase. Instead, she walks right in and maybe, people recognise who she is and are not bothered or are just afraid, because no one bothers to stop her. No one even really looks her way. Not that she would care or even realise at this moment as she finally spots him walking down some stairs with some younger man.

"You shouldn't have given up the shield."

Bucky cuts right to the chase, stalks over to meet him at the bottom of the steps, angry blue eyes meeting tired, but warm (always warm) brown eyes.

"Good to see you, too, Buck." Sam can't help smiling a little, because he's actually happy to see the familiar face, even if that face is currently glaring daggers at him.

Bucky's eyes narrow just for him calling her that, but she lets it go this time. "This is wrong. You know it is." She says, following as he starts to walk.

"Hey, look, I'm working, alright?" Sam gives her a pointed look. "So, all of this outrage - as hot as it looks on you - is just gonna have to wait."

Bucky makes a face to herself, and will absolutely never tell him she feels pathetically flattered by his comment. "So, you didn't know that this was gonna happen?"

Sam looks at her a little offended and maybe even hurt - Bucky thinks she should know what that looks like on anyone, what with all the killing and torturing she's done as the Winter Soldier. But it felt different when it was Steve, yet familiar. This doesn't feel familiar, at all, and she doesn't know what to do about it. She doesn't particularly like Sam, but she doesn't not like him, either. And to make things worse for her, he's annoyingly good-looking, too.

She's still pissed with him, though, she lets him talk to her. She trusts people, she reassures herself in her head as he talks.

"No. Of course I didn't know that this was gonna happen." Sam shoots her a pointed glance and says, "You think it didn't break my heart to see them march him out there and call him the new Captain America?"

"Steve didn't want this. He wanted you."

She almost says she wanted him, too. Because it's true, she thinks, no one else was as perfect for this as Sam is. Steve knew it, she thinks miserably, so it has to be right. If not, then she's just a lie, too, and all of this "starting a new life" crap is just that... crap.

"Oh, my God!" Sam groans loudly in frustration. "What'd you want me to do? Call America and tell 'em I changed my mind?" He glances at her, arches a brow. He huffs out a chuckle when she only scowls at him and says, "OK. Nice reunion, Jane. You take care of yourself."

He picks up his pace and Bucky only follows, still scowling all the way. "You had no right to give up that shield." She says with determination.

Sam finally stops and turns to her with a scowl of his own. "OK, here's what you're not gonna do; you're not gonna come over here with your overextended life and tell me about my rights."

Fair enough, Bucky thinks, and she knows he at least sees that on her face when he sighs to calm himself.

"It's over, Bucky. Besides, I have more important things to deal with right now."

Bucky holds onto a scoff, but lets a little of her bitterness leak out in her words. "And what could be more important than this?"

"- so that's where I'm going."

Bucky zones out, out of boredom, but thanks her super-enhanced multitasking skills just in time to reply, "Well, I don't trust Redwing."

Sam bites back a smirk as she says, "You don't have to trust him." He rolls his eyes when she scrunches her face up at the word "him" and almost smiles. "But I'm gonna go see if he's right anyway, 'cause I have a feeling they're a part of the 'Big Three.'"

Bucky would smile at the adorably boyish excitement on his face, but instead, she's frowning, because - "What? What 'Big Three?'"

"The 'Big Three.'"

He says it like it somehow now, magically, has real meaning.

"What 'Big Three'?"

God, she almost forgot how annoying he is. Oh, wait - no, she didn't.

Sam lets out a (painfully cute) huff. "Aliens. Androids. And wizards."

Bucky's frown only screws up her face all the more. "Well, that's not a thing."

"It's definitely a thing." Sam nods, staring defiantly back at her.

"No, it's not."

The ex Winter Soldier is bickering like a little child with this man. And she doesn't know how he does that, and it is very annoying, but she's secretly a little grateful for how - normal? - it makes her feel.

"Every time we fight, we fight one of three." Sam points out.

"And who are you fighting? Gandalf?" Bucky scoffs.

"I -" Sam goes to deliver a snarky comeback, but pauses with surprise as he looks at her. "How do you know about Gandalf?" He asks somewhat suspiciously.

This time it's Bucky's turn to look offended. "I read 'The Hobbit' in 1937, when it first came out." She states with a slight snootiness in her voice.

Sam smirks. "So, you see my point."

"No, I don't. There is no such thing as wizards."

Sam stares incredulously at her. "Uhh, Doctor Strange."

"Is a sorcerer." Bucky stares back at him, doesn't blink. She's good at that. And she likes doing it, because it unnerves people... Sam isn't normal people, though. He's, well, like Steve - and the Doc - for some annoying reason, he isn't afraid of her. She likes that, too, and that, too, is just another thing she will never tell him.