Children

[The Next Morning.]

When the sun rises, Bucky and Sam are already awake and have left Zemo's apartment. They walk down the cobbled streets side by side, only a few people out and about with them at this time of the morning. It's a nice and comfortable silence that settles between them, even after such a shitty night. Well, it began shitty, but Sam definitely made it better, Bucky thinks with a small secretive smile. They walk for another ten minutes or so before Sam's phone is ringing and now Bucky is smiling at him, because —

"You really do need to put your phone on silent, Sam."

Sam merely rolls his eyes as he digs into his pocket for the phone. He looks slightly worried when he sees who's calling, and Bucky notices, but doesn't question it for a moment. He swipes his thumb across the screen and presses the phone to his ear.

When he says Sarah's name, Bucky is staring intently at him as they continue to walk. She could listen in, but suddenly feels like she would be intruding – invading his family life. She thinks better of it, instead just watches him and walks with him. She watches his eyes widen then harden after a few moments of listening to whatever it is his sister is telling him.

"She said what?" Sam's voice is low, almost an angry growl as he tries not to grip his phone too tightly. He may not be a supersoldier, but he's definitely crushed a phone or three out of anger in his time. "Right. OK, hold on, Sarah, slow down, girl." He smiles slightly when she cusses him out over calling her "girl" (like she always does) and somehow manages to calm himself, hopes she will calm down with him. "I know, I know... Listen to me, OK?" He waits for her to finally take breath before he continues. "Pack an overnight bag, keep it light and take the boys to the furtherst motel you can reach."

Bucky is no longer silent, immediate concern filling her chest. "What's going on, Sam?"

Sam quickly places a hand over the phone to muffle his voice as he tells Bucky, "Karli called Sarah and threatened my nephews."

Bucky grits her teeth in more silence as Sam talks to Sarah again.

"Alright. Just find somewhere safe. Don't worry, no one can track you, I gave you that special phone, remember? ...OK, good. Only pay in cash, wherever you go. Call me soon as you arrive... I know. I love you. You know I would never let anything happen to any of you... OK, yeah, thanks. Bye."

Bucky watches him watch his phone as they continue to walk, almost smiles at how protective and sweet he is over his family. Almost wants to tell him that she would never let anything happen to them, either, that she would never let anything happen to him.

Sam's voice snaps her from her thoughts – like it so often does. "Karli wants me to meet her in one hour. She left a contact number."

Bucky simply nods just as his phone "pings."

Sam frowns as he reads the message and then glances slowly up to Bucky. "She wants me to go alone."

Bucky wrinkles her nose. "Well, that's definitely not happening."

Sam can only smile, because he had a feeling she would say something like that.

[One Hour Later.]

"Karli!"

Bucky has never seen Sam quite so angry and if she wasn't so pissed off with Karli, she would definitely find it very arousing. Instead, she finds herself on another stupid balcony – Latvia seems to loves them – glaring at the stupid young supersoldier. Bucky keeps her distance, not wanting to piss "Red" off, but only because she doesn't want to endanger Sam. Though, she still keeps just feet away from him, standing at the corner and ready to charge either way.