My Book

"I can't believe that asshole pulled an El Chapo."

Bucky scoffs, "I can."

They take advantage of Zemo's deserted apartment. Just for tonight. Bucky says they might as well, because it's not even the least of what that asshole Sokovian owes them. Really, Sam knows she just wants to take some time to sulk and stew. And really, Sam doesn't blame her one little bit. And really, Bucky knows she can catch up to that asshole later, that the Dora Milaje will inevitably find him and take him, no matter how far he thinks he can run. Besides, even if they can't find him – and that's a very big "if" – Bucky has a good idea of where to look.

That first thought brings Bucky a little comfort. But it would bring her so much more if she knew that now she didn't have to try to convince Ayo to let her see Zemo that one last time. Just for closure. She knows if she begs enough; if she reasons enough, the warrior will (probably) cave. But that isn't the problem for Bucky. She doesn't want to beg. And not because she is ashamed of begging, but rather, she is ashamed of how angry and hurt she has made her dear friend; her protector.

Even though Bucky is still dealing with her own hurt over what just happened, she tries so very hard to drink away the image of Ayo's disappointed face as she uttered the three worst words any Wakandan could ever hope never to hear – "...Bast damn wena, Jane... [...Bast damn you, Jane...]" Bucky glares at the glass bar top and she pours herself another whiskey. Yes, Bast damn her, she agrees as she downs the liquid and instantly pours another.

"Are you trying to get drunk?"

Bucky scoffs as he takes the stool beside her. "What gave me away?"

Sam fights the urge to roll his eyes, or smile. "I know self-loathing is kinda your thing and all, Buck, but I'm actually on your side with this one."

Bucky glances curiously at him, not expecting to hear that. "You are?"

"They should have at least warned the woman – who has trust issues routed deeply from trauma – that they could just come and take a literal part of her away whenever they feel like it." Sam is scowling as he says those words, looks slightly troubled (and annoyed, from what Bucky can tell.)

Bucky feels her insides warm and it's not because of the alcohol. However, she still feels the "deeply routed" need to defend her saviours, and with a casual shrug and a small, but defeated huff, she says, "It's probably just a precaution." She frowns, thoughtfully adds, "And definitely a warning... Or at least a reprimand."

"Probably."

Bucky shoots him a withering look right back.

Sam watches her pour another drink. "You and Ayo got close, huh?"

It's not really a question, but Bucky nods anyway as she finishes the drink with another single gulp. She places the empty glass down, but doesn't pour another (for the moment) and instead glares at her reflection in the mirror behind the bar.

"Well, if the King himself can overlook his pride for the woman he thought murdered his father, I'm sure Ayo can understand why you did what you did."

He gives her a comforting smile, and Bucky wants to smile at his efforts – because of course she appreciates him trying to cheer her up – but instead she's shooting him another withering look. "Except this time, it's actually fully my fault." She huffs with a shake of her head, and another sulk that Sam can't help think is just so adorable. "They have every right to be pissed off with me... I should have at least asked them first."

"You were a little distracted. And you really think they would have agreed?" Sam arches a brow, doesn't look too convinced. "At least this way, you didn't directly go against their wishes."