20

"Lovers tiff?" Zemo smirks to himself as he slides into the empty space at the bar. He didn't even have to do anything for them to start on one another, he smugly thinks, tries not to smirk when he turns his head.

"None of ya damn business." Sam scoffs. He turns to order a water, hoping it will clear his head, if only a little.

"Of course." Zemo purses his lips to keep from smirking, still, but takes the hint. Well, mostly. "She thinks you don't trust her."

Sam turns to glare at him. "What did I just say?"

"I was just... Commenting."

"Well, don't."

Sam wants to say more, wants to grab him by the scruff and demand just what the fuck he was trying to pull with Bucky and Selby. He doesn't, not now, simply keeps it waiting for the right time. Preferably, when they're alone. Without Bucky, if that will be at all possible.

"Hey, guys." Sharon suddenly appears behind the two of them and waits for them to turn and face her before telling them, "Found our man. Let's go."

"What about Bucky?" Sam asks when Sharon doesn't.

"She's outside, waiting for us."

Sam simply nods and makes sure Zemo is in front of him as they follow the blonde through the crowds.

[A Few Minutes Later.]

The first thing Sam notices is that Bucky has thrown on a simple (but smart) black blazer. Actually, the first thing Sam notices are the black leather gloves she's wearing and it makes him feel like even more of a tactless asshole. Seriously, he thinks, how the hell did he become a counselor for war veterans?

Bucky is silent again, has been since they left the gallery with Sharon. Sam notices how she's withdrawn again, gone back into herself again. Sam thinks it's his fault.

Zemo doesn't pay much attention to Sam and the blonde talking, only notes when she says they have "borrowed time" and he knows that this is finally it. He can finally start tying off loose ends from his work.

Sharon keeps watch as the three of them open the metal crate and walk inside. Sam almost calls out to the blonde, is more than confused when he sees that it's empty. However, as Bucky walks passed them both and closer to the opposite end, her sensitive ears pick up the unmistakable sound of music. She doesn't recognise the song, but it doesn't sound so bad to her.

Bucky doesn't say anything, simply pulls off her left glove and reaches out into the darkness with metal fingers. Sam and Zemo exchange a look after watching her pull open a hidden door. Bucky stops, turns to face them both and holds out her metal hand for them to go first.

Sam notes the slight arch of her brow, the attitude in her smug little smile and huffs while holding back a smirk, because at least she hasn't lost that, he thinks. He takes the lead without a word, and Zemo shuffles in after Bucky gives him a little shove.

They find the not-so little makeshift lab, and Bucky hadn't known his name before, but she instantly recognises the scrawny-looking man they meet. His eyes are wide when he finally notices he's not alone anymore and Bucky can see the fear flash in his eyes before he quickly replaces it with anger.

"Who are you!? What'd you want!?" Dr. Nagel scoffs at his own choice of words, replaces them with, "Get the fuck out of my lab!"

"Are you Doctor Nagel?" Sam asks, holding both his hands up so that he doesn't look too threatening. "We know you're the one who created this new supersoldier serum."