Words

"Yeah. I see you, Jane." Sam's replying and nodding before he even really knew that's what he was doing. He's trying hard not to stare at her scars, but only because he suddenly realises how a supersoldier got scars in the first place. And his heart swells then when he really thought it would sink.

Looks like the Winter Soldier tried almost everything for Bucky to escape, long before Bucky ever actually did...

Bucky just looks confused.

"If I was an evil secret government organisation who wanted an army of supersoldiers at their disposal, but only ever succeeded in creating one, I would definitely be making sure you could never take your own life. They used the brainwashing to make sure that didn't happen, didn't they?" Sam holds back his ego, holds back a smirk when she looks rather shocked. He tries to calm her by playing with the hair at the nape of her neck (tries not to grin, because it works) as he lifts his right hand to left her shoulder.

Bucky barely nods.

Sam nods, ignores the painful clench in his chest. "Supersoldiers don't scar so easy..." He trails his fingertips lightly over the seam of where her metal meets her flesh, smiles lightly as she closes her eyes. His face slowly falls though when he carefully asks, "You tried to tear it off, didn't you?"

He sees her frown and nod again, not daring to open her eyes, sees her cheeks reddening. He knows she did it more than once, the multiple scars are proof of that, and her scars proof altogether, considering supersoldiers barely even scar at all. He doesn't say any of that though, doesn't need to and doesn't want to make her feel any worse than he probably already stupidly has.

Way to kill the mood, Sam. He silently scolds himself.

...No, thinks, he made a promise, and he plans to keep it, like all the others.

"I'm sorry." He leans forward, presses his lips to hers, pulls back and shoots her a sincere look when she finally opens her slightly terror-filled eyes. "I wasn't staring."

Bucky smiles lightly, mumbles, "Liar."

Sam chuckles, mumbles back, "OK, but not because..." He frowns slightly, maybe thinks she might actually be worried that he's freaked out by her scars. He huffs, then, shoots her a pathetic look. "You know what I mean."

Bucky leans up, slowly slides her hands over his shoulders, leaves them resting there as she presses her forehead to his. She smiles to herself when his eyes flutter shut, suppresses a shiver when his fingers dig into the skin at back of her neck. His other hand quickly slides down and settles on her waist, and Bucky smiles at him when he opens his eyes and looks directly into hers (something she's comfortable with only him now that she no longer has Steve, or even Nat. Even Ayo and Shuri still intimidate the heck out of her!)

Bucky is no good with words, never has been. (Well, not unless she's trying to sweet-talk someone.) Real words were something Steve was always better with. She doesn't know what the hell she's so afraid of right now when Sam pretty much told her that he goddamn loves her. She knows it will probably be a little while longer for her to heal her emotional constipation (for lack of better words), but that doesn't mean she can't take a leaf out of Sam's sneaky little book and tell him without even actually saying it back to him.

She thinks maybe he meant to do it just so she could do the same. But then Bucky presses her lips to his, pulls back just enough to nod and tell him, "Yeah... I do." And then he's pulling back to look at her properly, looks slightly surprised, and Bucky's heart swells, because she now knows he just wanted to tell her, just wanted her to know.

Sam doesn't know how he's suddenly pulling himself together, but he does know how difficult it is for her to say what she really feels (even to Steve, for crying out loud!) He can't even begin to describe how much his heart is swelling, how much his skin prickles with fucking fire (he swears.) He doesn't answer with words, knows she doesn't need him to, smiles against her lips while knowing she would just let loose her metal fist in his face if he even dared to tease her about it.