A Hypothetical

“You wanna bust Zemo out prison? ...OK, before you went in – I didn’t wanna say anything to piss you off again – but I was a little worried that you might be going insane, but now? Now, I actually do think you’re insane.” Bucky shoots him a withering look, and Sam finally properly takes in his surroundings, looks a little confused as he looks back at her, and asks, “And where the hell are we?”

“We got nothing right now, Sam. No leads to follow. No moves to consider. Nothing.” Bucky is quick to remind him, though, she does understand why he’s uneasy. She’s also a little touched again by how concerned he seems over her.

“What we have is one of the most dangerous men behind bars. Guy doesn’t even have superpowers and still managed to tear the Avengers apart without lifting a damn finger.”

“You’re right – he got me to do it for him.” Bucky counters and she knows she should be a little less light-hearted about her “mistakes,” especially when he shoots her a (cute little – God, help her –) scowl. She holds onto a smirk, instead smiles without it reaching her eyes and says, “Look, we still got a bunch of supersoldiers freshly baked outta the oven and running around causing trouble.”

Of course, Sam understands the situation they’re in, he gets what she’s saying. But that doesn’t have to mean he likes it. He lets out an exasperated huff, says, “Zemo is just gonna mess with our minds. Especially yours.” He watches her walk over to pull at the lights, turning them on and adds, “No offence.”

Bucky turns back to face him, scowls and huffs, “Offence.” She can see that he wants to smile, and carries on to keep herself from doing so also. “Serum-created supersoldiers go against everything Zemo believes in. He is crazy, sure, but he does have a code... Even if it is warped.”

“Uh-huh.” Sam nods, shoots her a pointed look. “I’ve been on the wrong side of that ‘code’ before, Buck. And so have you.”

He’s right, she knows that, but Bucky focuses more on the fact that him calling her “Buck” suddenly doesn’t seem to annoy her so much. This must be some of that progress she’s usually so slow on obtaining.

She doesn’t say anything for the moment, just lets him go on, lets him get it off his chest. She thinks he cares about her, doesn’t know for sure, because it’s not really one of the important things she was taught to look for as the Winter Soldier. She would look for weakness, fear, and worry. And Sam seems worried, but she still can’t decide whether it’s over her or over his obligations as an Avenger. And selfishly, she can’t help hoping it’s the first, or at least, both.

“He blew up the U.N. He killed King T’Chaka and framed you for it! Do you think the Wakandans forgot about that? By the way, that’s a rhetorical question – they didn’t."

Technically, he framed the Winter Soldier.” Sam shoots her an ‘are you serious?’ look, and Bucky continues, “Don’t think I’m insane again, but he actually apologised.” She scoffs bitterly as she adds, “And he was actually sincere about it.” It’s Sam’s turn to scoff, and she shoots him a serious look and says, “I’m not saying I’ve forgiven him. Or that I trust him... But you said you trust me.”

“I do.” Sam huffs out, somehow shoots her a “you know I do” look. But then, he’s frowning, looks worried again as he says, “I know why this matters to you, but it’s pushing you too far.”

Oh – Bucky thinks – maybe it is because he cares about her. She doesn’t say anything about it, because now isn’t really the appropriate time, instead, she says, “Sam, we got no idea how they’re getting this serum. We don’t even know how many of them there really are.” She ignores his (adorable – ugh!) huff, hides another smile and asks, “Can I walk you through a hypothetical, real quick?” She doesn’t let him answer, just nods and carries on as she walks over to stand in front of him. “I’ll walk you through a hypothetical...”

Sam immediately narrows his eyes in on hers. “Bucky, what did you do?”

Bucky purses her lips together and shrugs, tries not to give herself away. Yet. “I didn’t do anything.”

She then, proceeds to tell him something that sounds like it’s straight out of a prison escape movie and by each second she grows closer to the end, Sam’s concern only weighs heavier and heavier in his chest. He really does not like where this is going, and he was right to feel that way, he thinks with much suspicion as she finishes and stares back at him, a little too calmly for his liking.

“First of all –“ Sam holds up a finger. ”– I do not like how casual you were about everything you just told me.” Bucky rolls her eyes, Sam continues. “And second of all – I definitely do not like how causal you’re still being about everything you just told me.”

Bucky tries to reply, but much to Sam’s alarm, he’s already making a beeline for Zemo, who finally manages to meet her. She’s impressed with the Sokovian, annoyed about being impressed with the Sokovian, and now is also trying to keep Sam from beating the crap out of him as she quickly intercepts.

“What the hell is he doing here?!”

“Sam, wait a second.” She places her flesh hand lightly on his chest, her metal one ready for Zemo, if he should try anything.

Thankfully, Zemo stays where he stands a few feet away from them both, but Sam glares at her and says, “You said you didn’t do anything!”

“And technically, I didn’t!” Bucky pathetically snaps back. She huffs when he shoots her a “what the fuck ever!” look, quickly calms herself and says, “We need him right now, Sam.”

He knows she’s right, they both know it, but Sam’s still adamant. “No, we need to take him back to prison. Right now.”

“If I may interject –“

Both Bucky and Sam tear their eyes away from one another to glare over at Zemo before replying in unison – “No!!

Oop... Apologies.” Zemo mutters politely, clamps his mouth shut and then smirks to himself when they go back to their (adorable – he may be able to use... whatever “this” is between them against them) bickering.

Bucky sighs deeply, tiredly, briefly misses her stupid white furball, and looks up into Sam’s pretty brown orbs as she says, “When Steve refused to sign the Sokovia Accords, you were the first to back him on it. You broke the law. You put your ass on the line for him. And for me.” She wants him to know she'll never forget that, that she trusts him, too, as she says, “I’m asking you to please do that again, Sam.”

She also wants him to know that she would do this for him, too – she would probably do anything for him after all he did for Steve, alone – and she thinks he gets that as he finally caves with a loud huff of defeat.

How touching, Zemo thinks. He holds back a smirk and says, “I really do think I am invaluable.”

“No one here cares what you think.” Bucky quips as they both turn to glare at him, and Sam warns as he turns to face him – “If we’re actually doing this – you don’t make a single move without mine, or Bucky’s permission.”

Zemo can only nod as he replies, “Fair.”

Sam lets out another huff and finally, asks, “OK, Zemo, where do we start?”