Impure Knock-Offs

[Delacroix...]

"There's only one thing left to do."

To his sister, Sam seems absent-minded enough as he ditches the small bucket of polish and grabs up the bucket of ocean blue paint. However, Sarah knows her big brother better than he even realises. Just like she knows he's given her the cliché reverse psychology over this damn boat of theirs by not saying a damn word about it to her. Well, at least no more than he's already said to her when she first suggested selling it.

"Let's do it." Sarah plays him at his own game. Even when she knows she's going to lose this one.

Ugh.

From her stance on the docks, she watches him, feeling herself frown deeper the closer her gets to her. Sam pulls himself up on the docks beside her, shoots her an all too pleasant smile (which she can just feel is the icing on the stupid cake when she can just as easily feel her resolve steadily crumbling) and then he plops down on the wood of the docks, his legs swinging off the edge. Sam places the bucket beside him, pulls out the brush and wipes it slowly on the side of the metal tub before just as slowly reaching out towards the side of the boat.

"OK, alright. Stop, stop. We can't sell the damn thing..."

And Sarah knows she's lost this silent battle of Chicken then, because her heart clenches painfully at the mere thought of actually painting over their parents' names. And somehow, she holds back on the glaring (mainly because her heart is still pulsing achingly) when he turns his head to look up at her and shoots her a small, but clearly triumphant smile.

Ugh!

Sarah sighs loudly, tries not to sound so defeated, but is humble enough to admit it. "Yeah, yeah, you're right, I know." She rolls her eyes when he chuckles, then plops down to sit beside him. "And I remember all my own stupid speeches and reasons, but..." She looks at the-their-boat, shakes her head. "I just can't."

"Sarah," Sam places the brush back in the bucket, slides the bucket away from him and turns to face her with a big sigh of relief. "I am so happy to hear you say that." He looks at the boat with his sister. "We have to preserve this as best we can, for as long as we can." He turns to face her again. "If there's one thing I've learned, it's that I can't win every fight. And I'm cool with that. But this?" He motions a shoulder towards the boat. "This is our history. And we can't lose this fight... All of our struggles as a people... I used to think I was gonna go out and save the world, while at the same time showing everybody I could change it. Silly, I know." He chuckles, amused with his younger self, and Sarah only smiles fondly at him as he talks. But Sam is then feeling the guilt as he frowns and says, "But Sarah..." He sighs sadly. "When I'd look into your eyes, I could always see that you thought I was just running away from everything else in my life."

Sarah immediately shoots him a withering look, like he should know better, which she thinks he should. "Sam, you listen to me now." Her heart aches again, pangs when she sees the look he gives her (it's the same look she used to give herself in the mirror everyday after her husband died.) "At no point in my life did I ever think you were running away from anything. Not even when I was lightin' yo ass up at the bank." She smiles when it gets him smile. "Who knew you were so sensitive?" She nudges her knee against his, chuckles when he scowls, but is still smiling. She smiles deviously, this time not to secretly at him as she says, "Maybe 'cause you been hanging around a certain woman... Who you never shut up about..."

Sam is now scowling fully at her, but counters with, "Who is not as sensitive as you would think."

He's trying not to smirk over how dark Bucky's humour is... While also growing annoyed over how easily (and much less pleasantly than "a certain woman") his damn sister gets under his skin.