The Man

Summer is out for the kids and Sam loves his nephews with all he is, but he's grateful when Sarah makes sure to have them go help down at the docks with her. This way, for the next few days, or until things are less quiet on the Karli front, and while he's got the (rare) free time, Sam can focus on the shield. He knows he's no supersoldier, knows his own limits, accepts and even manages to use them to his advantage. He can't throw the shield as hard or as fast as Steve, and he doesn't have a vibranium limb that can punch through almost anything like Bucky, but Sam knows it's who you are that makes the person, makes the hero. He knows Steve knew that, too, knows that Steve chose him for a reason. And Sam just hopes he can finally fulfill his friend's wish, hopes he really is "the man for the job."

After Sarah giving him the last little kick up the ass he very much needed, the very next day, Sam wakes up just before the Sun rises. He goes about his morning routine, careful not to wake the rest of the house, but once he's back in his room and half dressed, Sam hears his door creaking slowly and turns to see Cass watching him.

Sam pulls on a blue tank top (smiles briefly to himself at how it's almost the same colour as Bucky's eyes) turns back to his nephew and narrows his own eyes. "What're you doing up, little man? Don't let your mom catch you." He shoots him a small grin, just to show he's not cross with him.

"Why're you up?" Cass argues back. His snootiness is short lived, however, because he's just as quickly grinning, and whispering excitedly. "Are you and Bucky going on another mission?! Does she use her vibranium arm a lot?! Are you gonna take the shield with you?! Does Bucky know how to -"

"Hey, hey, slow down."

Sam grins because he's remembering telling Bucky to do the same while his brain conjures up the adorable image of her stuffing her face with food. He's also endeared by the little attachment the little man seems to have with Bucky. Honestly, Sam can't say he blames him.

Sam sits on the end of his (neatly made, of course) bed, the shield in its case, lying right behind him. "Close the door or you'll get us both a butt wooping." He smiles fondly when Cass does just that, takes extra care to not make a single sound as he slowly edges the door shut. "No missions yet. Still on standby, Little Soldier." He chuckles when Cass grins at the nickname, knows how he loves to feel included with "all the superhero stuff."

"So, you're gonna train then?! Cool!" Cass winces when Sam loudly shushes him, but can't contain his grin as he shuffles enthusiastically over to sit beside his uncle.

Sam can't help his own grin as he reaches out and messes a hand through Cass' thick curls. "Yeah, I'm gonna get some time in with shield while I still can."

"My uncle is Captain America. This is so awesome!" Cass hisses quietly, is practically glowing up at him.

And Sam can feel his chest swell just at the look he receives, knows now this is one more reason to do this, to be Captain America. Sam manages to quickly compose himself, gulps quietly, nods, but arches a brow and asks, "You really think I can do it?"

"Duh." Cass rolls his eyes, but of course he's still grinning. "No offence, Uncle Sam, but I really wanted Bucky to be the next Captain America." He glances up at his uncle far too innocently to be anything other than mocking. "But you aight. You fit. It's all good."

Sam tries not to grin, tries not to think of Bucky so damn much, because it's distracting. Still, he can't help shooting the boy a mocking glare back as he mumbles, "Offence."

Cass snickers quietly, adorably adjusts his glasses when they slide down his little face. "Is Bucky gonna train with you again? If so, can you ask her to bring her cat again? She's really pretty..." He blushes heavily as he mumbles, "Bucky's really pretty, too..."