Helmut F**king Zemo

[8 Years Ago.]

"T'Challa?"

Bucky has not said a word since the fight. Steve would like to think it's only because she's as bloody, bruised and as tired as he is. Really, he knows it's because she's lost in her thoughts, trapped with her guilt.

They cling to one another tightly, the slightly higher temperature of HYDRA's knock-off serum keeping them both warm enough in the thick snow, while Steve uses what's left of his strength right now to keep them both standing (let alone even moving.)

Just an hour ago, Steve was fighting one best friend for the other and he still can't believe what's actually happened. He can't believe he let it get so bad.

Most of all, he can't believe he lied to Tony. Even if it was for Bucky's sake, he knows he should have just listened to her in the first place and should have just told him. The lying, he knows, made it all so much worse and made Tony hurt so much worse and now, he can never change that.

But now, the King of Wakanda smiles warmly against the surrounding cold climate, despite the dire situation they find themselves within the moment. Steve carries them both to meet him halfway and even with the pain she's in right now, Bucky can't take her eyes off of the huge shiny, black spaceship-looking craft. She somehow still finds the moment to be amazed, even after just having her metal arm literally blown off by one of Iron-Man's hand-blaster thingies (she doesn't know what the hell they're really called.)

They'd been walking for miles, aimlessly, just trying to put as much distance as possible between themselves and the chaos they left behind. Steve didn't know where the hell they were, so he was definitely grateful when the Wakandans suddenly showed up. He really doesn't know how much longer they both would have lasted before collapsing in the never-ending snow beneath their worn out boots.

"Do not worry, Captain." The King says, "Zemo will not be causing any more trouble."

"Thank you." Steve nods. And he really means that, because T'Challa is one of the few allies he has left (one of the few friends he probably has left.)

He's knows Wanda and Clint mainly have their own agenda and reasons for "taking his side," but he also knows he can trust them as well as he can trust that their wants won't waver. He doesn't know Scott all that well, but he's grateful to the man for all of his help and besides that, any friend of Sam's is a friend of his. Because he definitely knows that Sam always has his back without question. But he's still not so sure about Natasha.

He guesses he'll find out soon enough.

T'Challa nods curtly back, then glances to the (one-armed) woman cradled under the Captain's (shield-less) right arm. "Sargeant Barnes –" Bucky looks at him and she can tell he's being completely sincere and honest, because he wears his emotions so freely for her and she's grateful for that. "– I apologise for all that has happened between us. I believed you to be responsible for my father's murder, but now, I know the truth."

Bucky simply nods. She doesn't feel she deserves to thank him, barely feels she deserves his apology at all. Even if she didn't kill his father, she may as well have with all of the fucking trouble she's caused literally everyone she's ever met.

This time, all thanks to Helmut fucking Zemo.

(The man who managed to find that fucking book and say those fucking words and drag her back to fucking hell all over again!)

T'Challa looks at Steve again. "Captain, I have you to thank for that. And for that, I wanted to offer my assistance." He motions to the Royal Talon Fighter a few yards behind. "A safe place. Back in Wakanda. For the both of you, of course." He turns back, glances between the both of them and smiles. "You are a Sleeper Agent. The only successful Winter Soldier, Sergeant Barnes. But you are still you. Even after such a long time of being denied your true identity." He gives a nod of approval, adds, "That is a good sign. It shows that you have more willpower and more sense of self than you realise. Your mind is not too far gone. You are not lost."