Wings

[Now...]

"The GRC is conducting raids to try to find Karli. But so far, they've only found her followers. They've searched this camp already." Just a few days later, Sam is going through (or fucking trying to with the large amount on hand) his messages and e-mails. His phone was buzzing so much that he finally put it on silent just a minute ago.

Bucky is standing a few meters away from him, just staring over at the torn up Falcon suit lying on the same table Karli threw Sam and John into. She's only half paying attention to him talking as her mind flickers back between the rage on John's face as she and Sam fought him and the similar rage on her own and deeply rooted in her heart as she flinches at the memory of beating Steve to a bloody pulp while she's screaming that he's her mission.

Sam huffs loudly, looks up at her and she finally snaps out of her drowning thoughts. "Nothing. She's gone. We'll never find her now."

He looks more tired than she feels, and even though she's still kind of pissed at Sam, Bucky stills offers up some small amount of hope. "She won't go far. Trust me. She's scared right now and probably hiding closer than we think."

Before Sam can reply, Torres makes his loud entrance. "Oh, hey! You got your sleeve back. Cool... Is that a new jacket or, uh..." He smiles sheepishly, trails off slowly when she stares blankly back at him.

He grins at Bucky then, but she simply rolls her eyes and turns to walk away from them both. Before she gets too, far, and before Sam can stop himself, he's blurting out rather snootilty, "Going to take care of Zemo finally?"

Bucky halts, turns to shoot him a quick but effective glare and then she's turning and storming off this time.

"Shit." Sam tuts at himself, positively scolds himself as he's holding up a finger to Torres and then jogging after her. "Buck, wait."

"I told you, you can't call me that." Bucky "snipes" without even looking at him, without even stopping.

"Really?" Sam shoots her a withering look even though she's still refusing to look at him or even stop for a second. He huffs then when he gets nowhere, instead tries, "Jane -"

"No." Bucky immediately cuts him off, doesn't stop, but does turn her head to shoot him another glare. "That's even worse."

Lie, the Winter Soldier is fucking laughing at her, fucking liar.

ShutthefuckUP!! Bucky screams back, because she's so not in the fucking mood right now.

"Fine."

Sam doesn't play games, and he certainly isn't buying her bratty bullshit right now. He thinks he knows her well enough now to know when she's hurting and trying to shove that hurt onto anyone else who will take it. He will take it. But to a certain extent.

"Bucky, stop, girl." Sam's hand gently catches her flesh wrist as he steps in front of her. She bumps into him and he would laugh if she wasn't then snatching her hand away from him.

"Stop. Touching me!" Bucky snaps, she doesn't know why. Sam's touch never bothered her before, but maybe she's just that fucking sick and tired of... Just everything.

"...You're so pretty, baby..."

Sam sees a flicker of something that makes him feel like he's been punched in the gut with her vibranium fist and it forces him to take a step back. His hands go up automatically in surrender and he somehow manages to keep calm as he says, "I'm sorry..."

"...You're so pretty, baby... Let me..."

"No." Bucky closes her eyes and focuses on the calm that Ayo put in her from the moment they first met. She refuses to go backwards, refuses to let them in. She doesn't know if the Winter Soldier is helping her, doesn't care because anything is better than going backwards.